How to change an iPad screen?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stevejob$$$, Sep 22, 2010.

1. stevejob$$$
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

So I bought a second hand iPad today, and got a killer deal because the screen has some cracks in the top corner (only over the bezel though, and it's the top that is cracked, not the LCD). I was just going to tape it up, but I wonder if anyone has any experience replacing these?

Apple want £300+ change to do the job, but that's not worth it in my opinion. Does anyone know where I can buy the genuine apple part in the UK, and how easy it is to pop the existing one off and put a new one on?

Cheers

EDIT: It's a 32GB 3G by the way, if that makes any difference, and the cracks are near where the top goes black for the 3G receiver).

2. Batt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Batt

3. cloroxbleach4
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Never changed a screen out before, but you could look at the parts at www.cnn.cn

4. caubeck
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

5. b.c.
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

6. Fuzzy Logic
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Fuzzy Logic

7. Evgenyy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Have a look on UK Ebay for "iPad digitizer". They are going for £70-100 there. I am looking to replace the glass as well as I have a really bad scratch on the screen and not up for paying £300 to apple to replace it...

8. Evgenyy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular