Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdmfer

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
Weird - trying to check my iboot version and mine is this:

.......IBFL:00_SRTG:[IBOOT-596.24]

What does this mean to me? Can I jailbreak or not? On 3.1.2 3G

sdmfer

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
596.24 < 596.3.2

Sounds good for me then right?

The part that Im confused about is people are saying on the first page iboot numbers of 359.32 or 359.3.2 is bad. Do I not need to worry about the 1st 3 digits (ie 359 or 596 whatever)....know what I mean?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
The version numbering system for iBoot isn't exactly sequential and I don't really understand how it works. All you need to know is that your version of iBoot is older than 359.3.2 and can be pwned.

sdmfer

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
The version numbering system for iBoot isn't exactly sequential and I don't really understand how it works. All you need to know is that your version of iBoot is older than 359.3.2 and can be pwned.

great. thanks a lot my friend!

mojoe24

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
I have 359.3. Tethered jailbreak correct? If so, I guess I'll be waiting. I haven't turned off my phone, but I don't want to be stuck where I am unable to after a reboot without a computer.

Dulghar

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
I know people have been asking all over the board, so here's the answer, courtesy phoeny at the Dev-Team blog:

And, for those who don't know, on a Mac the procedure is:
Wat if there is no iBoot version to be found? Under Windows at Device instance path, it stops after the IMEI:. :(
screen.jpg

Any ideas?

MACE529

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
Australia
DFU on 3GS works fine. im on it now. and i am still wondering how others cant find Device Instance Path. Mines fine on Vista Ultimate 32x. Problem is, my iPhone is week 46 and is tethered. I am cautious about jailbreaking other iTouches and iPhones, as i have succeeded with it before, but this is MY iPhone and i want to positively make sure that it is safe before i try anything.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
DFU on 3GS works fine. im on it now. and i am still wondering how others cant find Device Instance Path. Mines fine on Vista Ultimate 32x. Problem is, my iPhone is week 46 and is tethered. I am cautious about jailbreaking other iTouches and iPhones, as i have succeeded with it before, but this is MY iPhone and i want to positively make sure that it is safe before i try anything.

I think it their phone is not in DFU mode. Or perhaps they are looking in the wrong place. In any case, I can confirm it works on XP and others have confirmed that it works on Vista. Haven't heard about Windows 7, but I don't imagine its too different.

Sorry your jailbreak will be tethered; but at least you know and won't have to find out the hard way.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I'm trying to get the iboot version off my friends phone. I had no issues on my mac. Were using windows xp. When put into dfu it says there was an error. In device manager it has the exclamation point but doesn't show an iboot number. I know were in dfu as it doesn't show an IMEI. Any suggestions? It's a week 42 3Gs.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Is the screen completely blank and has iTunes given a popup saying that it has detected an iPhone in Recovery Mode?

Screen is blank but no iTunes Message. We are currently updating iTunes as it gave an error msg when initially plugging into the computer.

UPDATE

Ok so after updating iTunes we got it into dfu and retrieved this at the end of the string:
5&9345ECD&0&3

not sure what iboot this is. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again

UPDATE

having no luck through device manager I did some digging and found usbview here: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/archive/index.php/t-2598542.html this worked like a charm. Unfortunately for him he has the new iboot.

ruDDerX

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
Stop saying Serial number shows bootrom version!

Probably, must be a slower AT&T store to see 3.1 still

Did you check the 4th & 5th characters of the serial # to see what week it was made ??

XX936 and below is golden

Hello Everybody: There is a lot of false rumors on how to check if you have the old or new bootrom. It is not possible to read this off the serial number as many people say! I have the old bootrom and my serialnumber is xx945.

The only way I know of is to set the iPhone in DFU mode:
  1. Turn off the phone
  2. Hold power and home button for 10 sec
  3. Release power button and continue to hold home button for another 10 seconds

Thereafter you can check bootrom version in System Profiler (Mac) or Device Manager (Windows)
iBoot-359.3.2 is the new
iBoot-359.3 is the old

Regards
Rudder

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hello Everybody: There is a lot of false rumors on how to check if you have the old or new bootrom. It is not possible to read this off the serial number as many people say! I have the old bootrom and my serialnumber is xx945.

The only way I know of is to set the iPhone in DFU mode:
  1. Turn off the phone
  2. Hold power and home button for 10 sec
  3. Release power button and continue to hold home button for another 10 seconds

Thereafter you can check bootrom version in System Profiler (Mac) or Device Manager (Windows)
iBoot-359.3.2 is the new
iBoot-359.3 is the old

Regards
Rudder

The serial number is just an "indicator" of whether the phone might have new bootrom.

There are in fact a few persons with week 45 and 46 that say they have old bootroom (not surprising as I doubt the factories switched over to new bootrom chips on Sunday morning or Monday morning, likely just whatever day they ran out of old ones)

Those with refurbished phones (2nd digit of serial number is a letter instead of a number) are all old bootrom, so far.

blaker13

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
Whats so bad about tethered JB?!?

I have a older 3gs but my girl just got a new one and i JB wiht the tethered JB, just dont let your phone battery die, or just put it to sleep instead of turning it off, and if it does its not like you have to JB the whole thing again, you just have to run redsnow and do a hotboot wich takes about 2 mins, i see well fit for what you get with JB'ing. She's is not phone savy at all but has had NO problems with it, and loves being able to customize and run more than one thing at a time.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2010
even after putting iphone in dfu mode, if you cannot see bootrom in device instance path, then use usbview , i have used that on 4 iphones and it works like a charm.

edit1754

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
If anyone has had trouble checking their iBoot in XP, either because USBView doesn't show you all the info or because "Driver Instance Path" doesn't exist, I have found a solution.

Download System Information Viewer: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/System-Information-Viewer-Download-27447.html

Make sure your 3GS is both plugged in and in DFU mode. Extract the contents of the zip you just downloaded and open SIV.exe

click on the "USB Bus" button
siv1.png

find the button beside "Apple Recovery (DFU) Driver" and click it
siv2.png

look for "iBoot-359.3" (untethered) or "iBoot-359.3.2" (tethered)
siv3.png

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
SIV worked!

Thanks to edit1754!
For me, neither the Device Manager nor the USB viewer program showed me the bootrom, but this SIV worked!

Sadly, it confirmed that my bootrom is 359.3.2, but at least I am able to tell for sure with this tool!

thinkpad77

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
SRTG:[iBoot-596.24]

I checked my iphone's iBoot version today using the SIV method and the control panel method on my windows XP laptop. both of them showed iBoot-596.24

I was expecting to see either 359.3 or 359.3.2 but completely different version. anyone knows if this is a valid version for untethered jailbreak/unlock? btw, my iphone is 3G 8GB 3.1.2/05.11.07

TIA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.