Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Enough with it already! Look, quit trying to convert people to other browsers guys. But, of course, here's MY opinion: (lol)

Safari pros - opens faster than all browsers, least amount of ram used, extremely fast on some pages, fast on most.
Safari cons - very few features (unless you install plugins), 3% of pages load really slow imo.

Who would use Safari: someone who constantly opens/closes the browser, and wants a fast internet surfing speed, without the bells and whistles.

Camino pros - a mozilla product, only browser I couldn't get to crash, good overall speed.
Camino cons - not the "best" at anything (ram usage, browsing speed, amount of features).

Who would use Camino: someone who likes a good overall web experience, a few add-ons, with extreme reliability.

Firefox pros - a mozilla product, feature-filled, consistently updated and consistently getting better, LIGHTNING QUICK on 30% of pages, and the best viewer for large amounts of Flash content (in my experience).
FIrefox cons - takes a long time to load initially, decent speed on 70% of pages.

Who would use Firefox: someone who uses the web for a long period of time once a day, or someone who likes to view alot of Flash material.

Shiira pros - expecting an incredibly good update soon (!), largest amount of add-ons.
Shiira cons - slowest of the browsers, not "simple" by any means.

Who would use Shiira: someone who does more with the internet that "goto web pages", someone who isn't bothered by subtle speed differences.

Here's my own personal order, favorite to least fav:

Safari, Camino, Firefox, Shiira.

That doesn't mean that's the DEFINITIVE answer, and i'm not going to convert you. But because of my work and school, I open/close the web browser 100 times a day....easily. The speed is good, though myspace crawls sometimes.

Analyze yourselves. Which "Who would use this?" section do I fall under?

Thanks,

Chad

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I like Camino, but it has no spell check.

OmniWeb is slow as hell and you have to double click the edit tab. They want you to pay them $15.

Firefox is fast, but I don't like the short history menu or their forum jump drop down menu.

Safari is my favorite, but I wish they had the 'check spelling as I write' feature.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Safari is my favorite, but I wish they had the 'check spelling as I write' feature.
Huh...?

Picture 1.jpg

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
if u don't list "extensions" as firefox's feature, u basically know nothing about firefox...

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I use Camino on my Mac and I love it. I don't think I have 1.03 though... should probably upgrade. On my Windows and Linux computers, Firefox is the best because it's pretty fast and I find it to be really reliable. Plus you don't have all the security holes of IE.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
if you're opening and closing Safari so much (or any app, for that matter) why don't you just hide the application when you're not using it?

7ttman

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
Safari and Firefox

I can only comment on these... I was perfectly happy using Safari until my wife enrolled on a course at university and I discovered that certain web based applications just wouldn't work because they had been written to utilise Internet Explorer. Whilst I had that running on one of my macs, we didn't like the user interface compared to safari. So I downloaded firefox and everything now works like a treat. Sure it loads slower than Safari, but we usually keep it up in the background and running multiple tabs.

My only other comment is that I personally think that Safari handles downloads in a much nicer way.. but then I haven't bothered to look at any of the options to configure firefox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.