Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesignIt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Does anybody know how to do this? We have all macs but had to get a pc for testing, but I don't know how to get it connected to the mac server...

Also, for airport wireless, where would I find the WEP code? (again for the pc)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Please define "connected to". What are you trying to accomplish? File sharing? Headless control (GUIfied or CLI?)?

DesignIt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
yellow said:
Please define "connected to". What are you trying to accomplish? File sharing? Headless control (GUIfied or CLI?)?

Just filesharing. We store all files on the xserver, so simply filesharing.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Sounds like you need to turn on Windows Sharing on the XServe. The Windows box will have to connect using SMB, as I don't think you can turn on Apple filesharing services on PCs anymore.

DesignIt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
yellow said:
Sounds like you need to turn on Windows Sharing on the XServe. The Windows box will have to connect using SMB, as I don't think you can turn on Apple filesharing services on PCs anymore.

What is SMB?

Also, how do you turn on Windows Sharing?
(sorry, I'm totally new to this arena)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
When you fire up the Server Admin app and expand your server to show all the available services, one of them is "Windows" down at the bottom. Set it as a standalone server (I assume), give it a name and appropriate workgroup, then start the service.

You may also need to give individual users permission to connect via Windows sharing in the Workgroup Manager app, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

It's pretty easy to do in my experience, but if you have no idea what you're doing with networking I suppose it's easy to get in over your head.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Yeah, just start Windows Sharing (Samba) in Server Admin.
If you haven't fooled around in the sharing in WorkGroup Manager, the same sharing applies for both AFP (Mac) as SMB (Windoze).

If your PC and Xserve are not configured otherwise, both belong to the workgroup "WORKGROUP" (duh.. :p ), making life a little easier.

Then goto your PC and press, START >> Run....
Type in that window: "\\<IP ADDRESS OF Xserve>"\ ,and it should ask for a username and password.

BTW...
Your Mac OS X Client can test if that Xserve is correctly setup for Windoze-sharing:
Choose "Connect to Server.." (COMMAND - K), and type the following:
"smb://<IP ADDRESS OF Xserve" , and it should ask for authentication.

Note the difference in backslash and forwardslash between PC & Mac while accessing the SMB Share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.