Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I want to split the entire movie in half. Can I copy half of the clips to another file?

Essentially, my iDVD file is too large to burn and I need to cut it in half. Is there an easier way to do this?

thanks

cemorris

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
This should be a simply copy and paste operation. Copy in one project, then open another and paste.

You can also import the clips themselves if you know their file names on disk. Right click on your project file, go to show package contents. Navigate to the clips you want. Drag them into your new project.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
cemorris said:
This should be a simply copy and paste operation. Copy in one project, then open another and paste.

You can also import the clips themselves if you know their file names on disk. Right click on your project file, go to show package contents. Navigate to the clips you want. Drag them into your new project.

Really? I can copy the clips and transitions easily, but when I open the new file the paste option is grayed out. i haven't been able to fix that.

The importing is working, though, but if you can figure out the copy paste option, that would certainly be easier.

thanks.

cemorris

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
I just tried it and it worked for me. Are you shutting down iMovie before you re-open? You have to simply open another project without shutting the app down. This is also on the latest iMovie HD (05), is that the version you are using?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It depends on how the clip was made...

If the clip was a 'native' clip, (i.e. the entire clip was created by iMovie itself when importing,) then you should be able to copy/paste and/or find it in the file structure itself.

If the clip was 'created', (i.e. it was part of a longer clip, and you split it within iMovie,) then you're out of luck. I have yet to figure out how to cut the size of a large clip down to get it to transfer to another project.

(In my case, I had imported a DV tape on my old Windows computer. The resulting DV file was 8GB. The one file had about four different 'events' on it, so I wanted to split it up into four parts for four separate iMovies. Well, even though I cut the file down, deleted the unneeded parts in each project, then emptied the trash, each project is a full 8GB. Even the project that now only contains 2 minutes of video.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.