Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Sounds like you have no issue with this stuff, and that's fine. I'm not happy with it. I do cover all cameras, and I will not buy a xbox with the connect. I was going to the xbox 1, but I'm going to not due to the creepiness of the connect. I don't carry my cell phone in places that are not public, and I don't own a land line.

----------

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/0...-data-on-your-iphone-top-secret-files-reveal/
If you have power lines, you have a nice stable field antenna that picks up everything from 1 Hz to ghz range. Better just use candles too. Ever hear of OTA on cell phones?:cool:

----------

What makes you think these companies haven't volunteered or been forced into cooperating with the government thugs?

----------

I can opt out of social media by not taking part in it. I cannot opt out of the government taking my contacts, cell phone data, Internet traffic, or what ever else they are taking.
Yet you gladly give it up to many private companies with no knowledge of who they are, with little oversight, by using smartphone apps. Sorry I just don't see a difference.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
If you have power lines, you have a nice stable field antenna that picks up everything from 1 Hz to ghz range. Better just use candles too. Ever hear of OTA on cell phones?:cool:

----------

Yet you gladly give it up to many private companies with no knowledge of who they are, with little oversight, by using smartphone apps. Sorry I just don't see a difference.

Who says I use smartphone apps? Also, as for a difference, I don't ever remember google, hp, or what ever company having the power to come into your home with guns, arrest you, put you in a trial for their gains, or commit any number of other crimes governments have been know to do.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Did the OP just mention "webcam light"? Where on earth have iPads ever had webcam lights?

Don't use tape!
Instead, use just a dab of petroleum jelly. It'll block the camera- isn't an eyesore and will easily wipe away.

It's what law enforcement agencies use.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There is no way that anybody access your iPad remotely, much less take control of the camera.

So far, not one of you has provided a shred of proof that the above statement is wrong. An iPad is not the same as a PC running Windows and uninvited remote activation of the webcam by a stranger is different than the owner of a computer installing remote access software.

You can argue all you want with phpmaven's statement, but until you provide proof, your arguments carry no more weight than the original statement.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
The FBI doesnt give a damn about you, unless you're doing some creepy/sick illegally stuff why worry about it?

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
You can argue all you want with phpmaven's statement, but until you provide proof, your arguments carry no more weight than the original statement.

To make the statement that the ipad can't be hacked is just as silly.

Given that practically every other type of device is vulnerable, I think it is safe to say that the ipad is as well. Whether a vulnerability has been found and exploited is unknown to us here.

However, given recent revelations about the NSA you can bet your last dollar that someone is working on a way to hack your ipad.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

Given that practically every other type of device is vulnerable, I think it is safe to say that the ipad is as well. Whether a vulnerability has been found and exploited is unknown to us here.

However, given recent revelations about the NSA you can bet your last dollar that someone is working on a way to hack your ipad.

I would agree 100%.

I would say it is already past tense on hacking the iPad or any Apple product. What we know they are doing at the NSA is just the tip or the iceburg! Most do not care but I see it as chipping away at our rights.:(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

You know what they say about assumptions. ;)

----------

Almost all the people I know who work as analysts for the govt keep tape on their webcams when not in use. Infer what you want from that info.
Including phones (and in particular iPhones)?

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
What part of that or any other information like that deals with iOS again?

You're pretty naive to think that the same thing can't be done on iOS.

----------

I wish it was true, because I would love to be able to remotely access an iPad so I can give support to my friends. I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Well...

----------

This article is talking about a PC with all of their known vulnerabilities.

We are talking about an iPad.
See me post above.

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
It can also be said that believing something that hasn't been shown to be true can be naive as well.

I think you should look that word up in a dictionary since you don't know the meaning of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
Almost all the people I know who work as analysts for the govt keep tape on their webcams when not in use. Infer what you want from that info.

It is definitely public knowledge that hackers can watch you on any webcam out there so I am not surprised they are using the tape. However, it is also useful for blocking your employer from doing it. From what I understand they may not spy by turning the camera on and watching a live feed (although it is possible), but some do take timed pictures to see if you are at your desk or up to something. You know the government probably does this as do many large corporations.

Personally I think it's creepy that employers are moving to this level of monitoring not to mention the keystroke recording and web usage reporting.

I am fine with the web usage reporting as it's a company machine but pictures, video, and keystroke recording go a little beyond IMHO. As long as the work is getting done most of these are not an issue but it shows a major lack of trust from the companies who do it. I am sure they have their reasons, but I don't see them as necessary.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
There are stories here and there. Leaked information about the capabilities of the government to monitor its citizens. Are they real or paranoia? We don't know, but from time to time when something concrete comes out, it makes it pretty easy to assume the worst.

Such as when we all found out that printer manufacturers were in cahoots with the government to put specifically identifiable marks in each printer they sell. Who would have believed that before it was openly acknowledged? I'm not a conspiracy theorist by nature, but there's an awful lot of smoke here!

I have a feeling most of us would be stunned at what capability they have!

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
Several different platforms. Topic here is iPads. I'd love to see specific, relevant citations to back up the broad general claims.

Hacked and remote control installed...
http://www.securityweek.com/mcafee-details-remote-ipad-hack-mobile-security-demonstration

CVE search results...
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=Apple+iOS+gain+privileges

People claiming to have been hacked...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4646841?start=15&tstart=0

More...
http://www.ibtimes.com/iphone-hack-...lnerabilities-apple-ios-devices-video-1370121

Last edited:

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
I just skipped to the last page and SMH at this thread. :rolleyes:

I shake my head at the fanboys and girls who declare something impossible without first doing a 30 second google search as I did.

Now as to whether the original poster has anything to worry about regarding webcam spying on him/her specifically.... Moths ago, I would have thought him/her to be a little paranoid. These days, I'm not so sure. Guilt by association and only a few degrees of separation between us all (we are all members of the same online community) make his/her paranoia seem not so unreasonable. One bad apple (no pun intended) could land us all under a microscope.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I shake my head at the fanboys and girls who declare something impossible without first doing a 30 second google search as I did.

Now as to whether the original poster has anything to worry about regarding webcam spying on him/her specifically.... Moths ago, I would have thought him/her to be a little paranoid. These days, I'm not so sure. Guilt by association and only a few degrees of separation between us all (we are all members of the same online community) make his/her paranoia seem not so unreasonable. One bad apple (no pun intended) could land us all under a microscope.

So from your 30 second google search, please provide evidence that an iPad camera can be hacked.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
So from your 30 second google search, please provide evidence that an iPad camera can be hacked.

I figured you all would go there next. If injecting an arbitrary and hidden application that can root and remote control the device isn't enough for you then nothing will convince you. You can keep moving the target, but I'm not biting.

The simple fact is that iOS is NOT immune from being hacked. As requested, I've provided two different published examples using two different attack vectors. Both show that an arbitrary application can be installed, in one case ssh was installed and the researchers logged in as "root" to an ipad.

If that isn't enough for you, then I feel sorry for you. Most people would admit they were wrong and move on.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I figured you all would go there next. If injecting an arbitrary and hidden application that can root and remote control the device isn't enough for you then nothing will convince you. You can keep moving the target, but I'm not biting.

The simple fact is that iOS is NOT immune from being hacked. As requested, I've provided two different published examples using two different attack vectors. Both show that an arbitrary application can be installed, in one case ssh was installed and the researchers logged in as "root" to an ipad.

If that isn't enough for you, then I feel sorry for you. Most people would admit they were wrong and move on.
You'd think even a bit if not some or even a lot of it would already be seen in the wild (rather than what seem to be fairly controlled and preset conditions specifically designed to create things of this nature) given how widespread iOS devices are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.