Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyFL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Just am curious to check the log-in / log-out history of users on my machine -- I've done this before (a long time ago) but can't for the life of me remember where I found it. Thanks in advance for refreshing my memory :)

wightstraker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
Check the Console (Applications/Utilities). If I remember correctly System.log logs startups, shutdowns, sleeps, as well as user logins.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Just am curious to check the log-in / log-out history of users on my machine -- I've done this before (a long time ago) but can't for the life of me remember where I found it. Thanks in advance for refreshing my memory :)

Unix systems store this in wtmp. Open a terminal, and enter 'last' (without the quotes).

kushalashok

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
China
Useful

Check the Console (Applications/Utilities). If I remember correctly System.log logs startups, shutdowns, sleeps, as well as user logins.

I followed these steps:

Open spotlight (Command+ space)
Type "Console"
Select "system.log" from left panel under "FILES" section
Type "Login" in the String Matching search bar in the top right corner.

Analyze the logs and you'll be able to figure out all the login details.

kidtreo

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2016
Thanks for this. Regrettably Console is only showing activity from today. What is the easiest way to view user log ins prior to today? Thanks again...

Useful

I followed these steps:

Open spotlight (Command+ space)
Type "Console"
Select "system.log" from left panel under "FILES" section
Type "Login" in the String Matching search bar in the top right corner.

Analyze the logs and you'll be able to figure out all the login details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.