Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DRewPi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Hey sup ???
I could surely take a litle help .....
I got an old ruby imac 450mhz g3 with some 192mo of ram and looking to upgrade from 9.1 to 10.3.9 but i got a litle problem it ain't got a dvd drive !!!!:mad: !!!! and I think the cd install for 10.3 is a dvd right ???? so what should i do ??? what is the solution ????
Can i try to find an external dvd drive ???? is that the only way ???

Thanks for helping me out ..... :)

DRewPi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
oK that sounds good !!!!

But are the new firewire dvd drives recognize by mac os 9.1 ???
that is where i am not really sure of myself ??? :confused:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
DRewPi said:
But are the new firewire dvd drives recognize by mac os 9.1 ???
that is where i am not really sure of myself ??? :confused:
A FireWire Drive is a FireWire drive. You might not be able to burn a DVD using the drive but it'll mount DVD discs.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
DRewPi said:
Hey sup ???
I could surely take a litle help .....
I got an old ruby imac 450mhz g3 with some 192mo of ram and looking to upgrade from 9.1 to 10.3.9 but i got a litle problem it ain't got a dvd drive !!!!:mad: !!!! and I think the cd install for 10.3 is a dvd right ???? so what should i do ??? what is the solution ????
Can i try to find an external dvd drive ???? is that the only way ???

Thanks for helping me out ..... :)

I thought retail copies of Os X didn't come on DVD until 10.4, though I could be wrong.

DRewPi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
OK I'll try again ... on the imac

It seems to me it doesnt want to boot up with the cd from panther !!!! it's weird, i old the "c" key down when i start it up... and the imac keeps on ejecting the cd each time I try ....

Am doing something wrong ????

Thx for helping .... ;)

DRewPi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
The thing is ....

Acually the disc where i got Panther on aka 10.3 build of mac os x is a DVD format.

I ain't got a dvd drive in the old g3, so where actually could i find a external dvd drive with firewire that works out and will be recognized by mac os 9.1 ??? that is pretty tough to find something like that is our days i guess ...!

If any of you guys can help out .... that would be cool ... thx ... ;)

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
I'm fairly certain that you cannot boot from an external firewire DVD drive on an iMac G3. I also don't believe Panther was released on DVD, but I could be wrong. Open up your iMac, inspect the CD drive and buy an identical sized DVD drive that would fit (but check Google for compatibility before you buy), and then put it into your iMac. You could also just buy Tiger or Panther on ebay for cheap ($40-$60).

EDIT: took out reference to SCSI drive

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You really aught to get more ram or you're going to be sorely disappointed in the performance of that computer. It uses standard PC100 or PC133 ram that you can find anywhere cheap.

There are no SCSI ports on any iMac, whoever said that.

If you have access to a G3 or G4 tower, you can install Tiger or Panther or whatever on that, then put the hard drive into the iMac.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Panther came on a DVD or a few CDs. I happen to have gotten the CDs, which is better, IMO.

I would say your best bet is to buy a cheap copy of Panther on CD media and just install it with what you've got. Your amount of RAM should run it, but if you're using it full time you'll definitely want more RAM.

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
I'm fairly certain that you cannot boot from an external firewire DVD drive on an iMac G3. I also don't believe Panther was released on DVD, but I could be wrong. Open up your iMac, inspect the CD drive and buy an identical sized DVD drive that would fit (but check Google for compatibility before you buy), and then put it into your iMac. You could also just buy Tiger or Panther on ebay for cheap ($40-$60).

EDIT: took out reference to SCSI drive
My Mac OS X 10.3.1 retail installer disk is on DVD
Edit: I've vigured out those posts are form 2006, sorry, don't consider this post

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.