Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
lucky, I've even seen it melt/warp a car headlight when my friend used a bit to try and get rid of some really stubborn insect marks. Incidentally goo off worked a treat for the other headlight...

To the OP - if you do use nail polish remover as the above suggestion use it very, very sparingly.

I'm still juggling the idea. May use it as a plan B if the Loctite glue remover doesnt work.
But then again I would prefer to do something sooner rather than later.

frikfrak

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
I didn't water it down. Put it on cotton balls and rubbed like hell. Took a while but got all the super glue off. black plastic was fine when I sold the phone a year later.

EDIT: 3G/s back plastic is lacquered, no?

Stngray

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Goodyear, AZ
I used 2p-10 debonder which I believe is similar to the locktite glue remover to get superglue off the screen protector of my iPad. It left no marks. I would buy some proper debonder and give that a shot. The amount of time doesn't matter, the superglue is already as set as it will get. Definitely don't use acetone.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Well the plastic will almost certainly be the same between the 3G and the 3GS... even if it is slightly different I don't see them drastically altering the chemistry.

So if indeed this fellow did remove it using acetone then you should be good to go, but be really cautious and use as little as possible. Once acetone has wreaked it's vengeance on plastic it's not reversible. I would point out though that not all nail polish removers use acetone and the concentrations vary.

Superglue sets very quickly however, I don't think you'll find much difference between now and waiting for the morning. If you're really desperate though i imagine a 24hr tesco would have the loctite stuff.... they certainly usually have the glue so why not the remover.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Well the plastic will almost certainly be the same between the 3G and the 3GS... even if it is slightly different I don't see them drastically altering the chemistry.

So if indeed this fellow did remove it using acetone then you should be good to go, but be really cautious and use as little as possible. Once acetone has wreaked it's vengeance on plastic it's not reversible.

Superglue sets very quickly however, I don't think you'll find much difference between now and waiting for the morning. If you're really desperate though i imagine a 24hr tesco would have the loctite stuff.... they certainly usually have the glue so why not the remover.

Funny you should meantion tescos, I have one right next to me. Was just thinking of heading up there.
Cant find it on their website though.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I know it's stupid of me.
I was using super glue and some must of dripped on my work bench. I place my phone down without looking and bam I have super glue all over the back of my 3Gs.
Can anyone suggest a way to get this off??
:( :(

I dropped my 3GS a few months ago and cracked the case near the sim card. I superglued it and removed the excess superglue with pure acetone. It did not damage the finish on the plastic at all.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
I dropped my 3GS a few months ago and cracked the case near the sim card. I superglued it and removed the excess superglue with pure acetone. It did not damage the finish on the plastic at all.

looking more and more promising that you can just use some acetone....

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010

So if indeed this fellow did remove it using acetone then you should be good to go, but be really cautious and use as little as possible. Once acetone has wreaked it's vengeance on plastic it's not reversible. I would point out though that not all nail polish removers use acetone and the concentrations vary.

Yeah they make acetone-free nail polish remover for people with fake nails. I'd try that first.

adamt56

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
I know it's stupid of me.
I was using super glue and some must of dripped on my work bench. I place my phone down without looking and bam I have super glue all over the back of my 3Gs.
Can anyone suggest a way to get this off??
:( :(

You should be able to find Goof off at HD, Lowes, supermarkets etc.

If not, try rubbing it off with WD-40 on a rag . . .

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Ok I went to the shop on got the glue remover.

'Loctite glue remover is suitable for the removal of super glue and many other glues from badly bonded objects, stained surfaces, fabrics and accidently bonded fingers.
Do not use on painted or varnished surfaces, not suitable for use on hard plastics, eg. ABS.'

Its that last part that is worrying me.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Lol, pretty sure it'll be acetone based then... in fairness it is the best stuff for dissolving superglue.

Does it have ingredients listed on the back?

from some of the above posts you should be okay using acetone, just try not to use too much and once it's removed the glue then thoroughly clean the back of the phone to make sure it's all gone

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Lol, pretty sure it'll be acetone based then... in fairness it is the best stuff for dissolving superglue.

Does it have ingredients listed on the back?

from some of the above posts you should be okay using acetone, just try not to use too much and once it's removed the glue then thoroughly clean the back of the phone to make sure it's all gone

Nope, strangely the ingredients aren't anywhere on it, I always thought that was a requirement.
I may try using a tiny tiny bit of it just to see.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Nope, strangely the ingredients aren't anywhere on it, I always thought that was a requirement.
I may try using a tiny tiny bit of it just to see.

Try it on something else that's plastic first that you don't care about if it gets ruined.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Nail Varnish remover
The silent switch on my 3gs fell one day and I glued it back, in the process I accidentally got super attack stuck on the back of my iPhone, so I tried with alcohol, that didn't help so I actually had to use acetone based nail varnish remover. No damage whatsoever. Acetone could remove the paint but since the polycarbonate casing of the iPhone is painted from the inside (at least this is what it looks like, same goes for older ipods and Macbooks) this risk is non-existent.
Good luck, maybe start on a small part of you phone without getting it dipped in acetone/nail varnish remover.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Nail Varnish remover
The silent switch on my 3gs fell one day and I glued it back, in the process I accidentally got super attack stuck on the back of my iPhone, so I tried with alcohol, that didn't help so I actually had to use acetone based nail varnish remover. No damage whatsoever. Acetone could remove the paint but since the polycarbonate casing of the iPhone is painted from the inside (at least this is what it looks like, same goes for older ipods and Macbooks) this risk is non-existent.
Good luck, maybe start on a small part of you phone without getting it dipped in acetone/nail varnish remover.

How exactly did you apply it? Like dab it on with tissue, rub it in etc.
And how long did you leave it for?

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Ok I bit the bullet and used nail varnish remover. I applied it and then scratched atbthe glue and rinse and repeat.
It worked like a charm and the plastic seems untouched. Just going to wipe it over with a baby wipe and it will be as good as new.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ok I bit the bullet and used nail varnish remover. I applied it and then scratched atbthe glue and rinse and repeat.
It worked like a charm and the plastic seems untouched. Just going to wipe it over with a baby wipe and it will be as good as new.

Yay! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.