Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I just got a 250 Gig external HD for my MacBook and would like to be able to have all my full length movies on the external drive but show up in FrontRow (and possibly iTunes?) Is there any easy way to do it?

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Yes. Make aliases of the FW drive files/folders in your Movies folder in your home directory.

Easy peasy!

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
runninmac said:
I just got a 250 Gig external HD for my MacBook and would like to be able to have all my full length movies on the external drive but show up in FrontRow (and possibly iTunes?) Is there any easy way to do it?

Yes, you can do a few things.

Firstly, you could simply add all your files whilst they're on your external drive into iTunes, but making sure that Organise Songs or whatever isn't switched on.

Secondly, you could try making an Alias to that external drive inside your Movies folder. This might not work though.

Thirdly, you could always make a SymLink. I'm not quite sure how you do this, but it would work :)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Not to sound like an idoit but I think I have a general idea of how to alias a folder but Im not 100% sure. Do I just... ok I really have no idea. So any quick explination?

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Right click or ctrl+click on the file/folder and the choose Make Alias.

Or click the file then press Command + L

This will create an alias which you can drag to wherever.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Right click a folder, and click MAKE ALIAS. Then remove the MOVIES folder on your Macintosh HD and put the Alias in it's place, with the same name :D

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
Or click on the folder on your external HD that you want to make an alias to, then hold option-command and click and drag the folder to where you want the alias to be (I guess your Users>Movies folder).

This will make an alias without the '...alias' bit at the end of the name, since you have made it in a different folder to where the original lies.

alabanco

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
What can I do if I have movies right in the home directory of USB external drive ? I mean I have no folder for movies there I have all of them right on the external disk therefore Mac can't make alias to usb flash drive

I can't even make alias to one of movie folders on the drive because it is NTFS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.