Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digiwolf123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Hi All,

Can anyone update me on how I can identify what applications are installed and what version is installed in Mac? Windows have registry entries. In Mac, other than the Application.APP is there any place to look for those entries? Do I need to tpye any commands to list out the applications that are installed on the machine?

Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

- DiGiWoLf123

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Quick note: MAC = MAC (media access control) address for network hardware
Mac = computers and the OS.

Anyways, nearly every application will have an "About *application name*" option in the application menu. The version number should be listed in there. Also, many should be able to tell you in a Get Info window, and those that can will display in the Finder preview as well.

digiwolf123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Thanks for your replies!

Also I would like to know if there is any list that gives information on the applications that are installed? I would like to do a query to find out what applications are installed on the machine. Is there any file that might contain the information?

- DiGiWoLf123

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
Applications > Utilities > System Profiler

That will give you a list of applications installed and limited information such as location and version number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.