Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whw5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Atlanta
I just bought the simsons season 3 on dvd and I would like to put it on my harddrive so that I can watch it without the dvds in the rom-drive. If I wanted to put the dvd's onto my computer how would i go about doing it. Also how much space would a dvd take up and how good would be the quality?

opps sry I put this in the wrong catagory. Sry guys!!!!!

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
First you search the forums, then you will find that your answer is MacTheRipper amongst a slew of others. The size will depend on the content, but will never be larger than 9GB.

Now your next question will be "How do I compress" or convert formats...My response is show some effort and search. Many many threads on this very topic

krimson

macrumors 65816
from memory, and it's probably off...
7.2G, 7.4G, 5.4G

IF you dont want to burn them, all you really need to do is put the DVD's in, launch DVD Player to decode, and drag n drop. once you have them on your drive, just use the file/open video_Ts folder, and then hit play.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
krimson said:
from memory, and it's probably off...
7.2G, 7.4G, 5.4G

IF you dont want to burn them, all you really need to do is put the DVD's in, launch DVD Player to decode, and drag n drop. once you have them on your drive, just use the file/open video_Ts folder, and then hit play.

I've been using DVDBackup to decrypt - how do you use DVD Player to do it? Just have the movie open as you drag and drop?

FWIW, I've found that DVDRemaster does a good job of shrinking movies to smaller sizes.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
krimson said:
IF you dont want to burn them....

Suppose I do want to burn them?

Here's my story: my 3 1/2 year old daughter took all - I mean all - of her DVDs on a flight to visit my parents. She took them in a DVD wallet. On the flight back, the wallet was left in the plane and, of course, never found. Even though it had our name and phone number in it.

And, yes, I know I was stupid not to check to ensure that she still had it in her backpack, but we had a ton of stuff to carry, and... anyway, whatever, my bad.

We've since repurchased all of the "essential" ones that we could find, like good little law-abiding citizens. However, certain Disney ones are back in the stupid Disney "vault", so we can't get them. I'm thinking of copying some from friends. Yes, I know it's illegal. However, I bought the original DVD, I still have the cases, I bought all the ones I still could, and it isn't my fault that Disney won't sell me the replacements. And, no, i'm not spending $100 on eBay to get some out-of-circulation movie I already paid too much for.

So, given that I can get them decrypted and sized for a single DVD, how do I burn a readable - on standard DVD players - DVD? Simply copying the files back doesn't work, unless I'm doing it wrong. Do I need something like Toast?

Edit: I did use the search, and didn't find anything relevant. Of course, searching on "DVD burn" turned up a lot of posts, and I'm sure I missed the 200 with useful information, but I didn't see this answered.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Chip NoVaMac said:
Why do people even bother responding to a thread if it rankles them that the question has been raised before?
"People" (obviously meaning me) respond because this question has been posted so, so, so, so many times that with just the smallest effort you should be able to find all you need to know from all the previous threads.
No need for rudeness here.
So sorry *slaps wrist* :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jsw said:
Edit: I did use the search, and didn't find anything relevant. Of course, searching on "DVD burn" turned up a lot of posts, and I'm sure I missed the 200 with useful information, but I didn't see this answered.

Thank you! If you don't know the right terms you end up with a bad search. And even then you end up with threads that the answer may be buried deep in 20+ pages.

And in this case the title was very clear on the info sought. If it is a question that has been asked before, and someone has nothing to add to the topic - THEN IGNORE IT!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Just to clarify my question above:

I know how to get from a DVD to a decrypted, properly sized VIDEO_TS folder (and empty AUDIO_TS folder) with no hidden .DS_Store files - on my Mac.

I'm just curious if anyone can tell me the precise steps used to go from that to a readable DVD. Perhaps it's brainless and I just messed something up when I burned those two folders to a DVD.

Just checked the DVD I burned back inthe Mac - I ended up with .DS_Store files on it, although I'd deleted them before. Presumably, this is my problem. How do I burn without creating those files?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jsw said:
Just to clarify my question above:

I know how to get from a DVD to a decrypted, properly sized VIDEO_TS folder (and empty AUDIO_TS folder) with no hidden .DS_Store files - on my Mac.

I'm just curious if anyone can tell me the precise steps used to go from that to a readable DVD. Perhaps it's brainless and I just messed something up when I burned those two folders to a DVD.

Just checked the DVD I burned back inthe Mac - I ended up with .DS_Store files on it, although I'd deleted them before. Presumably, this is my problem. How do I burn without creating those files?

If you use Toast 6 and the UDF format; when you drag the DVD folder over, you will see the DS file. Just drag it off the Toast. And you should be done.

krimson

macrumors 65816
jsw said:
I've been using DVDBackup to decrypt - how do you use DVD Player to do it? Just have the movie open as you drag and drop?

FWIW, I've found that DVDRemaster does a good job of shrinking movies to smaller sizes.

All you really need is for DVD Player to decrypt the disc and have the decryption code in memory (or something) once that's done you can read the disc to copy it over. I usually just let it get to the menu, then pause it somewhere.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
edesignuk said:
"People" (obviously meaning me) respond because this question has been posted so, so, so, so many times that with just the smallest effort you should be able to find all you need to know from all the previous threads.
So sorry *slaps wrist* :D

It wasn't just you (though the image was over the top IMO :) ).

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Chip NoVaMac said:
It wasn't just you (though the image was over the top IMO :) ).

I thought I was pretty polite about it. I told the person to use the search feature on this site's forums, and I answered his question.

There are so many people on these boards now that are even too lazy to google for an answer. They need to be spoonfed in a sense, and that's just lazy.

whw5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Atlanta
actually I realized this after I posted the thread and I proceded to search google. I did not know proper term however so I was unable to find good results. If my laziness annoys you the please just dont answer to these kind of forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
krimson said:
All you really need is for DVD Player to decrypt the disc and have the decryption code in memory (or something) once that's done you can read the disc to copy it over. I usually just let it get to the menu, then pause it somewhere.

Mac The Ripper 2.0 does not require the running of DVD Player to decrypt.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Chip NoVaMac said:
If you use Toast 6 and the UDF format; when you drag the DVD folder over, you will see the DS file. Just drag it off the Toast. And you should be done.

Thanks! I have Toast 5 (on a different system, but I can copy the files there); I suppose it'll work fine. Otherwise, I see no problem with the DVD I burned, and it plays with DVD Player, just not either of my Sony DVD players. Only thing I can see "wrong" with it is the .DS_Store file, which apparently isn't a bad thing. Oh well.

And I understand why people jump on others who post obvious questions - or people like me, who hijack a thread (I'll beat my head on the wall afterwards for atonement). I just figured people who could answer the title question in this thread could answer mine.

However, it isn't always easy to find an answer. Sometimes, there will be a nice thread found with great details. Often, though, it's hard to find an answer. Or a useful answer. Lots of "use Disk Utility" or "repair permissions"-type answers without details on how to do those things (and, yes, I know how to do them - just an example of how often the advice is just a bit short of answering a question with specific steps).

In the end, after looking around a bit - and I do think people should search first - it's often easier to just post than to continue to dig through old threads. It's even easier to ignore a post if you think it's an obvious question.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Now why is the world have the mods removed my eariler posts? Now half of this thread makes no sense to anyone reading it for the first time, what was the point in deleting them?? :rolleyes:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
edesignuk said:
Now why is the world have the mods removed my eariler posts? Now half of this thread makes no sense to anyone reading it for the first time, what was the point in deleting them?? :rolleyes:

FWIW, I wasn't bothered by them. Truth be told, I assume that what I'm looking for is available via Search and I'm just too ignorant to find it. However, I've gotten the help I need, so I'm happy. And actually, I like your picture's-worth-a-thousand-words posts.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
SilentPanda said:
Make sure when you burn the DVD you have an AUDIO_TS folder even if the folder is empty[\B]. Some DVD players look for this folder to be present.

Thanks. It's there. Here's the listing:

[Dual-G5:/Volumes/DIEANOTHERDAY_DISC1] joe% ls -a
. .. .DS_Store AUDIO_TS VIDEO_TS
[Dual-G5:/Volumes/DIEANOTHERDAY_DISC1] joe% ls -a *
AUDIO_TS:
. ..

VIDEO_TS:
. VTS_01_0.BUP VTS_02_0.IFO VTS_03_0.VOB VTS_04_1.VOB VTS_05_2.VOB VTS_06_0.VOB VTS_07_1.VOB
.. VTS_01_0.IFO VTS_02_0.VOB VTS_03_1.VOB VTS_05_0.BUP VTS_05_3.VOB VTS_06_1.VOB
VIDEO_TS.BUP VTS_01_0.VOB VTS_02_1.VOB VTS_04_0.BUP VTS_05_0.IFO VTS_05_4.VOB VTS_07_0.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO VTS_01_1.VOB VTS_03_0.BUP VTS_04_0.IFO VTS_05_0.VOB VTS_06_0.BUP VTS_07_0.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB VTS_02_0.BUP VTS_03_0.IFO VTS_04_0.VOB VTS_05_1.VOB VTS_06_0.IFO VTS_07_0.VOB

And, yes, "Die Another Day" isn't a children's movie. It's what I had at my desk when I was testing this out before trying to find the DVDs I wanted to burn. I figured that if it looked OK, "Snow White" surely would.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
You are n the proper track.

STEP 1;

RIP
Use:
MacTheRipper 2.0 good and easy
DVDBAckup good and easy
OSEx works, less GUI like

Now you have a VIDEO_TS folder on the harddrive.

STEP 2
Test
Open DVD player. Go to FILE choose Open VIDEO_TS folder. Open YOUR Video_TS folder and play. test DVD.

STEP 3
Compression
If its over 4.4 gigs, you need compression.

DVD2One Great but costs $99.00 worth it, but not for casual backup.
DVDRequatisizer Also good, shareware and less than $99.00 Better choice

Compress to 4.4 gig.

STEP 4
Burn
Take the COMPRESSED VIDEO_TS folder and drag to TOATS, or ANY DVD burning software, delete the .DSStore (not required, but some players get funky withit) And Burn.

STEP 4a
DVDImager. It will make a DiscUtility image with VIDEO_TS folder and you can burn with DISKUTILITY for free.

Check out http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download3.html for tutorials

and

http://www.cdcovers.cc/ or DVDCoverart.com for artwork. Easier than scanning your own.

Of course, its ambiguous whether any of this is legal. For sure, you must own the original DVD. So play nice and backup responsibly.

jsw said:
Suppose I do want to burn them?

Here's my story: my 3 1/2 year old daughter took all - I mean all - of her DVDs on a flight to visit my parents. She took them in a DVD wallet. On the flight back, the wallet was left in the plane and, of course, never found. Even though it had our name and phone number in it.

And, yes, I know I was stupid not to check to ensure that she still had it in her backpack, but we had a ton of stuff to carry, and... anyway, whatever, my bad.

We've since repurchased all of the "essential" ones that we could find, like good little law-abiding citizens. However, certain Disney ones are back in the stupid Disney "vault", so we can't get them. I'm thinking of copying some from friends. Yes, I know it's illegal. However, I bought the original DVD, I still have the cases, I bought all the ones I still could, and it isn't my fault that Disney won't sell me the replacements. And, no, i'm not spending $100 on eBay to get some out-of-circulation movie I already paid too much for.

So, given that I can get them decrypted and sized for a single DVD, how do I burn a readable - on standard DVD players - DVD? Simply copying the files back doesn't work, unless I'm doing it wrong. Do I need something like Toast?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.