How to install Panther?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by musicpyrite, Jul 11, 2004.

1. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

In the next week or so I will re-install Panther and I have a (weird) question.

I've heard of this being done in Linux and was wondering if it was possible to do on the Mac.

I have an 80 GB hard drive and what if I make 2 partitions, one say 10 GB and the rest 70 GB. Then what if I drag the Panther install icon and all the folders (including the hidden) to the 10 GB partition.

Would I then be able to install Panther onto the 70 GB partition?

btw, I have the DVD version of Panther.

(and I know that there are tons of people who are going to say 'why do that? It's way easier to install off the disk.' I'll tell you: I want to experiment with the computer, and this will also help me when I need to install Linux off a downloaded file. (as I do not have a DVD burner))

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If I were you, and I wanted to do that, I'd use the ditto command line utility (or Carbon Copy Cloner (available at http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html), which makes the cloning process MUCH easier (and uses the ditto utility internally).

3. musicpyrite thread starter macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

What do you mean?

I already know how to clone my hard drive.

The question is:

How do install Panther onto a hard drive, with the installer data located on the same hard drive?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No, I meant clone the CD onto the 10GB partition, then boot from it and install Panther onto the 70GB partition.

5. musicpyrite thread starter macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Ok, I gotcha now.

Thanks. :)