Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
In the next week or so I will re-install Panther and I have a (weird) question.

I've heard of this being done in Linux and was wondering if it was possible to do on the Mac.

I have an 80 GB hard drive and what if I make 2 partitions, one say 10 GB and the rest 70 GB. Then what if I drag the Panther install icon and all the folders (including the hidden) to the 10 GB partition.

Would I then be able to install Panther onto the 70 GB partition?

btw, I have the DVD version of Panther.

(and I know that there are tons of people who are going to say 'why do that? It's way easier to install off the disk.' I'll tell you: I want to experiment with the computer, and this will also help me when I need to install Linux off a downloaded file. (as I do not have a DVD burner))

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
musicpyrite said:
In the next week or so I will re-install Panther and I have a (weird) question.

I've heard of this being done in Linux and was wondering if it was possible to do on the Mac.

I have an 80 GB hard drive and what if I make 2 partitions, one say 10 GB and the rest 70 GB. Then what if I drag the Panther install icon and all the folders (including the hidden) to the 10 GB partition.

Would I then be able to install Panther onto the 70 GB partition?

btw, I have the DVD version of Panther.

(and I know that there are tons of people who are going to say 'why do that? It's way easier to install off the disk.' I'll tell you: I want to experiment with the computer, and this will also help me when I need to install Linux off a downloaded file. (as I do not have a DVD burner))
If I were you, and I wanted to do that, I'd use the ditto command line utility (or Carbon Copy Cloner (available at http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html), which makes the cloning process MUCH easier (and uses the ditto utility internally).

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
wrldwzrd89 said:
If I were you, and I wanted to do that, I'd use the ditto command line utility (or Carbon Copy Cloner (available at http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html), which makes the cloning process MUCH easier (and uses the ditto utility internally).

What do you mean?

I already know how to clone my hard drive.

The question is:

How do install Panther onto a hard drive, with the installer data located on the same hard drive?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
musicpyrite said:
What do you mean?

I already know how to clone my hard drive.

The question is:

How do install Panther onto a hard drive, with the installer data located on the same hard drive?
No, I meant clone the CD onto the 10GB partition, then boot from it and install Panther onto the 70GB partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.