Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I've have untill recently only used a Cannon printer and thus only installed Cannon drivers (to save space on my powerbook).

Now I have to print on a Epson (Stylus Color760) too. I've inserted my Powerbook system CD (10.4.2) and choose optional installs. All printer drivers are "grayed" out.. So I find the EpsonPrinterDrivers.pkg file and click it and follow aa installer screen.. Installation says "success!", but after restart I still have to use GIMP-print to print with my 760! The epson print-utility is also not available and I can't do nothing to check ink levels, adjust head alignment etc..

Do i have to reinstall whol OSX to add a new printer??

Thanks in advance

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
cluthz said:
I've have untill recently only used a Cannon printer and thus only installed Cannon drivers (to save space on my powerbook).

Now I have to print on a Epson (Stylus Color760) too. I've inserted my Powerbook system CD (10.4.2) and choose optional installs. All printer drivers are "grayed" out.. So I find the EpsonPrinterDrivers.pkg file and click it and follow aa installer screen.. Installation says "success!", but after restart I still have to use GIMP-print to print with my 760! The epson print-utility is also not available and I can't do nothing to check ink levels, adjust head alignment etc..

Thanks in advance

Firstly I must warn you that Most Epson Printers are much like the infamous Lexmark's they suck... That aside are you using Os 10.4.2 as your CD is?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
MacEffects said:
Firstly I must warn you that Most Epson Printers are much like the infamous Lexmark's they suck... That aside are you using Os 10.4.2 as your CD is?

No i'm using 10.4.5 atm, and even if Epson sucks, I need to be able to use this printer.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
cluthz said:

Thanks in advance
Why not go to Epson's website and download the drivers from them?

Wait, I just checked on Epson's site and it looks like the 760 is pretty old. They only had drivers for OS 8 and OS 9.

You might be stuck with Apple's drivers and Gimp Print.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Occasionally it works to use the driver of a similar, more recent epson model. I've done this in the past with HP printers. You lose some functionality but its better than booting into OS9 to print
;)

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Oh and btw. I've been using an Epson CX6600 all-in-one printer for over a year now and couldn't be more satisfied. The generalisation that Epson's suck is BS. I've had an HP die on me after a year of light use. Everybody has bad luck occasionally.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
ftaok said:
Why not go to Epson's website and download the drivers from them?

Wait, I just checked on Epson's site and it looks like the 760 is pretty old. They only had drivers for OS 8 and OS 9.

You might be stuck with Apple's drivers and Gimp Print.

Ye it's from 2002 and i've used it on 10.3.x, a year back or so, on another computer and it worked great with own utility etc in osx

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Downloaded and installed the 780 driver (for osx) but din't improve the situation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.