Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZLurker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
Sweden
Does someone know if it is possible to launch an app that i placed in the Dock, only using the keybord?

Thanks alot!

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
You can use Spotlight if you have Tiger, or the superb Quicksilver.

If you go to System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts you will see a list of system wide keyboard shortcuts. I think the default shortcut to focus on the Dock is ctrl-F3, of course you can change it to something more convenient. You can then use the arrow and enter keys to navigate across the dock.

I'd go with Spotlight/Quicksilver though:)

ZLurker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
Sweden
munkle said:
You can use Spotlight if you have Tiger, or the superb Quicksilver.

If you go to System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts you will see a list of system wide keyboard shortcuts. I think the default shortcut to focus on the Dock is ctrl-F3, of course you can change it to something more convenient. You can then use the arrow and enter keys to navigate across the dock.

I'd go with Spotlight/Quicksilver though:)
Thanks alot!
The ctrl-F3 was just what I wanted.
I use keyboard shortcuts like a maniac but i never used the preferens panel
:eek:

Well well, you live and learn....

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I use Butler - it's fab - I almost never use the Dock now.

a simple press of ctrl-space, then type the first couple of letters of the name of the app i want, ant it gets launched.

And it's free. (donations accepted tho)

Butler does lots of other quicklaunch stuff, but I just ignore them, and only use the app launching capability.

cheers

.. RedTomato ..

aznspyder

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2005
California and Bangkok
Quicksilver is a lot like Butler, but I think Quicksilver is just cooler to use. I don't really use my dock either as I can just hit the key to activate QS and type the first few letters of the program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.