Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
England
Hey all,

I'm currently working for a company trying to stream video to a number of bandwidths. We have a very fast ADSl line in a all our video looks grand. However we would like to know how it looks to people on lower band widths.

Is there a program that allows me to in a simple way limit the bandwidth on the mac or just the bandwidth safari uses. I've been told it can be done using the terminal, however i'm not confident in the terminal and i don't think my boss would be too pleased with me messing about with the new macs in such a way.

Cheers!!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
PeterBonnar said:
Hey all,

I'm currently working for a company trying to stream video to a number of bandwidths. We have a very fast ADSl line in a all our video looks grand. However we would like to know how it looks to people on lower band widths.

Is there a program that allows me to in a simple way limit the bandwidth on the mac or just the bandwidth safari uses. I've been told it can be done using the terminal, however i'm not confident in the terminal and i don't think my boss would be too pleased with me messing about with the new macs in such a way.

Cheers!!
I found a program (donationware) called Carrafix that just might do the trick for what you're trying to achieve.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
England
hmmmm almost there

Thanks wrldwzrd89,

This seems to be the sort of program i'm after but after findling with the settings for a while all i've managed is to get it to either set the bandwidth the unlimited or limit it so badly the streams say there isn't enough bandwidth, which is mad since even a 56k dial up has been able to access them.

any other suggestions?

win_convert

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Aus.
perhaps if you connected it to an external modem or something?
I wouldnt know. I live in the backwater of technology backwaters. ie outback australia.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
England
Tried but not flexable enough

We tried doing that to test it for 56k dial up users, but we would like to be able to set it to a numbe rof bandwidths being 56k 90k 150k 600k 450k and 700k, and thats just for starters! We're doing this to make sure everybody gets the best video for there connection and it proving hard to do with out actually purchasing one of each connection.

I'm surprised this sort of thing is not common especially in video streaming and web development circles.

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
Follow Apple's lead...

PeterBonnar said:
We tried doing that to test it for 56k dial up users, but we would like to be able to set it to a numbe rof bandwidths being 56k 90k 150k 600k 450k and 700k, and thats just for starters! We're doing this to make sure everybody gets the best video for there connection and it proving hard to do with out actually purchasing one of each connection.

I'm surprised this sort of thing is not common especially in video streaming and web development circles.
Why don't you just follow Apple's lead and have the user click on a link to the appropriate version to view. ie. small, medium, large...? OR
There are scripts for Flash that can determine bandwidth then serve up the appropriate file.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
England
We've already gone better then that!

We have multiple verions which are being automatically chosen by the oplayo video streaming applet. The user is being treated to differnt versions according to their bandwidth, we can see what these look like on our connection, but what we don't know is if someone of say isdn is getting audio drop outs cause by limited bandwidth. Or even if the video stops and then has to rebuffer etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.