How to lock a pdf file so it can't be edited?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacNoobGuy, Jul 12, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

hey guys, i'm using 'Preview' at the moment. i've got a very important work related document that i've exported from OpenOffice and into a pdf file. so it started out as a .doc file in OpenOffice and now it's a .pdf file. i just want to make it so i can't make any further changes to it.

any help would be really great!

2. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Open in Preview, Click on File>Print. Bottom left corner of dialogue box click PDF. Click on Save As PDF... and then on Security Options in new dialogue box. You will the get a dialogue box that will offer you security options.

Attached Files:

3. macrumors 601

If you want really good PDF security options, you pretty much are going to want to use Acrobat pro or PDF Pen Pro. I don't know if they can restrict more than what Preview does, but it is probably more native.

4. macrumors 68020

If you just want to prevent Preview from making edits to the file, you can always lock the file in the Finder to stop it being over-written.

Preview uses the same security that Acrobat does: it's the PDF standard for security. However, Acrobat will have greater ability to configure and control that security.

It's worth mentioning that there are programs on the internet to strip the security from PDFs, so technically: if someone does want to copy, print or modify the contents, you can't stop them.

5. macrumors 65816

After converting a document to a .pdf you will not easily be able ( accidentally ) change it. Changing the text of a PDF requires several button clicks and 'Pro' software to do it.

As others have said, if you are looking to ensure the document CANNOT ever be changed by someone, that is impossible. You can only make it MORE difficult to change it.

6. macrumors 68040

Agreed. Simple and effective.