Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In just a couple of weeks, Apple is going to make it ridiculously easy for Android users to switch to iOS with an upcoming app alongside iOS 9 called "Move to iOS." It will give Android users the ability to wirelessly migrate contacts, message history, photos and videos, web browser saves, mail, calendars, and more. Until then, we have to do these things manually.

apple_android_logos-500x229.jpg

Luckily, it isn't difficult to switch from Android to iOS. It just takes a few extra steps to get all of the data you want from one device to the other. We've got a guide for helping you transition from Android to iOS as simply as possible.

Before following any of the instructions below, be sure to back up your Android device to ensure that you don't lose any important data in the event that something goes wrong during the migration process.

Transferring Contacts, Mail, and Calendars

Luckily, Google makes it incredibly simple for you to sync your email, calendar, and contact information across practically any device. So, if you've been on Android for long enough, chances are most of your data is easily available to sync on iOS.

How-to-Transfer-Mail-Contacts-Calendar-from-Android-to-iOS-800x469.jpg

Open the Settings app and tap Mail, Contacts, Calendar from the list of available options.
Tap "Add Account." Then select Google from the list of available options.
Enter the required information, including your email address, password, and description.
When prompted, toggle the Contacts and Calendars switch to the on position.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Move Your Data From Android to iOS

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I guess if you are in the store and are hesitating to buy an iphone this give the genius another selling point. I find that in general it is becoming more difficult to transition, but not because of the data. The reality is that we invest in the platform through App purchases that we would then need to re-purchase on the new platform. There is also the cost of relearning the system which is actually very different. I used to be a "best-of-breed" guy, but found that investing in a single platform gave me way better integration without all the work. For non-techies this means that ultimately people will migrate to an all Apple, all Google, or all Windows environment. Once there getting them to anywhere else will be difficult.

For Example, having a PC, an iPad and a Motorola phone is fine, but the integration will be lacking. Buy an all Apple arrangement and you buy an app once and it works everywhere. Buy a song once and it works every where. transfer phone calls and documents across devices. You get the picture. The same is true in slightly different ways if you buy all products from the same vendor.
This long explanation is why Tim has got to figure out how to get younger people less expensive entry points into the ecosystem. Get them young or never get them at all (this is the risk). And this is why Tim should show up on the 9th with iphone 6c and a 4" option. Both would be at a lower price point and would help get additional users, especially in the emerging markets into the ecosystem.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Buy an all Apple arrangement and you buy an app once and it works everywhere.

I otherwise agree with you, but it would be really nice if certain iOS/OS X apps actually had the ability to do this. The closest I've seen with this involved the iOS version being an extension of the main desktop app (subscription), or a free version.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting Apple here, it would just be nice to be able to download one App across devices, including my desktop ones.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.