Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Wow, old thread alert. But I would like to know the answer to this as well! The last time I had a blood test, about a year ago, I came very close to passing out. I was fine immediately after, but as I began walking back across the hospital's courtyard to the pharmacy where I was supposed to meet my mom afterwards, I started to feel faint and almost collapsed. I had to be helped by a kind stranger. It was rather embarrassing (not to mention alarming) for me.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
haha.

I think the last blood test i went to, i felt drowsy after. Just sit and wait it out.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
So many of the people in this thread don't really post anymore :(
Yep, sad trip down memory lane.

I break out in cold sweat when giving blood. My wife used to pass out, but needed multiple tests while pregnant, so she started warning the tech or nurse ahead of time.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Wow, old thread alert. But I would like to know the answer to this as well! The last time I had a blood test, about a year ago, I came very close to passing out. I was fine immediately after, but as I began walking back across the hospital's courtyard to the pharmacy where I was supposed to meet my mom afterwards, I started to feel faint and almost collapsed. I had to be helped by a kind stranger. It was rather embarrassing (not to mention alarming) for me.

When I was younger I had a blood test when I was pretty ill and I got as close to passing out as one can get without actually passing out - what stopped it was when one of the RNs jammed a vial of smelling salts under my nose. I was pretty dehydrated (could not keep fluids down) and my potassium levels were quite low. Both could have played a role, but when getting a blood test or donating blood, I've always been a little paranoid of passing out since that incident.

I feel that staying well hydrated (with ample sodium and, especially potassium intake) and maintaining a steady intake of complex carbs helps avoid some of those issues. When donating blood and immediately after, I practice calm breathing exercises. I do take one of these with me as well, in the case I should ever find myself needing it to avoid fainting (I also stuff a few in my emergency bag in the event of having to self-treat an injury where the shock of just seeing so much blood may cause psychologically-induced fainting) - luckily, I have not needed it yet.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes more than 20 years ago so I'm pretty much used to needles. What I do immediately after my regular blood tests (especially if fasting) is either drink juice or a drink with electrolytes and a small snack with carbs.

Argjend

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
My doctor is requiring a blood test that I have to get tomorrow. The last time I had a blood test, with just two of the small vials, I blacked out and fell down the stairs while exiting the building.

Any tips on avoiding this tomorrow?
[doublepost=1515769938][/doublepost]that just happend to me today and they told me you shohld Have enough sleep before it, stay hydrated, and u should really not be hungry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.