Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I created a business card using Adobe Illustrator, but now I can not get it to print on my Business card paper! I'm wanting it to print on Avery Inkjet Business cards. I'm using an HP photosmart printer, and I can't find anything anywhere to help me print on this paper! Avery has some templates I can get, but there ALL for MS Word:mad: and HPs website is a nightmare to navigate!!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
You can get out a ruler, measure the templates (that is, the perforations), and make your own layout.

Or, you can open the document in Word, ctrl-click the guides and set Borders and Shading to Grid, print as PDF and finally pull the PDF into Illustrator as your template. You'll probably have to play a bit with plain paper and a lamp to get the alignment right.

If you don't have Word to make the initial PDF, what's the label number?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I'm wanting it to print on Avery Inkjet Business cards
I've used those. The paper should have come with a sheet that tells you all the measurements. Then you want to put some guides in Illustrator based on those measurements. I would also measure it manually to make sure.

You have to keep your printers own limitations in mind. It's going to have a minimum margin size to consider (you can see it in Illustrator by selecting "Show Page Tiling" or something). When you print, make sure the document is NOT scaled to fit, but instead is 100% and centered on the page.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I used a template in Illustrator to build my card, but its only for one card.... I thought that I would just select the type of paper I had and it would print it in rows, am I wrong to think this?? I've tried to contact HP about it, and well they suck, and offer little to no support for Macs

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I used a template in Illustrator to build my card, but its only for one card.... I thought that I would just select the type of paper I had and it would print it in rows, am I wrong to think this??
Yeah, you'll want to duplicate it over to the other cards in Illustrator. There are some x-up format thingies built into the OS X printing system, but they aren't all that tweakable.

The attachment is a PDFified version of the Word template that the Avery site suggests for 8371.

Attachments

• c_377_us0_biz_10psht_port.pdf
    8.4 KB · Views: 704
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.