Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
If you contact Apple about it I bet they say to not share your account, they probably won't do anything to help you.

Well, the Terms of Use you sign states you will not share your account information so...

From the TOS:

YOUR ACCOUNT

As a registered user of the iTunes Service, you may establish an account ("Account"). Don’t reveal your Account information to anyone else. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your Account and for all activities that occur on or through your Account...

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well, the Terms of Use you sign states you will not share your account information so...

From the TOS:

YOUR ACCOUNT

As a registered user of the iTunes Service, you may establish an account ("Account"). Don’t reveal your Account information to anyone else. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your Account and for all activities that occur on or through your Account...

This! This pretty much makes the OP moot....

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Does anyone have apps that they did not download/try/check show up on their purchased list? I have my own apple id, I do not share it with anyone... but I have 10s of apps in that list that I did not download at all... Most of which are silly apps... My itunes purchase history on my mac shows the correct list of purchased/downloaded apps and it does not match the one on iphone...

Anyone have any idea?

yes i do,, they are called drunk app purchases you do not remember = ) lol

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
Like most families we share an Applie ID, Apple designed it this way. If my wife and I purchase 1001 sex positions, karma sutra and other apps for our own use our 11 year old daughter can now see those purchases. Parental controls only gray it out so it can't be downloaded. I really don't want her seeing that type of stuff. So yes, there are legitament uses for removing purchase history.

+1

This is a huge deal for some people.

Epic Orange

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Element X

From the TOS:

YOUR ACCOUNT

This is something that is definitely worth looking at. Everyone is complaining about the privacy issues with sharing Apple ID's between each family member, when it shows perfectly that you are responsible for what you do with your Apple ID. For everyone that is having issues. You should first make sure that the Apple ID is not signed in on the "kids" iPod or iPad, etc. Then make sure that any iCloud automatic syncing with music and apps is disabled (when iOS 5 comes), and make her/him ask you, the parent to sync content by wire. AS well, make sure you diasble explicit music, disable the App Store and iTunes Store, and making sure you choose the appropriate content rating for any shows or movies, etc, so your kids dont watch anything bad. By the way, blocking the App/iTunes Store App on the iPhone only blocks the app from being used. It does not affect App or music usage.

P.S. - In the end, make sure whoever owns the Apple ID, to make sure that only you know it, because I believe you need to re enter your Apple ID to view your purchase history on your Apple ID. Then again, you could always make a fresh one, and bury the other one. LOL

tevans333

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
where does apple say 'share your account with your family'?

It's implied by the ability to authorize up to 5 computers and 10 devices per account, as well as Home Sharing. Even Apple doesn't want a family to pay for the same content several times over.

Seriously people, lets put our common sense hats back on. Apple is not perfect so stop defending them as if they can do no wrong. This is a nice feature that just needs some refinement, and it is OK for users to ask for it.

This isn't a HUGE deal or even a privacy issue. It's simply a user experience issue that is very Un-Apple like. Apple puts the user experience first, but scrolling though a list of thousands of apps (many duplicates with lite versions and obsolete apps ie. AtBat 2010, 2011, Apple Bumper program) does not present itself as a good user experience. Add in kids of all ages seeing what their parents have purchased even with parental controls turned on makes this a must have feature for many families. It also highlights holes in the parental control logic.

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I'm going to follow this thread. I have some apps that I tried that were free and were deleted. I really don't feel like sifting through them, I would like to REMOVE them from my history. Nothing to hide, I just think it should be an option. Otherwise it's going to turn into a huge mess!

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
try calling apple and maybe they can delete certain apps from your itunes account purchase history manually if you call them, then you will not have them come up on your phone. worth a shot. it should be an option though through the itunes online account in my opinion.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
try calling apple and maybe they can delete certain apps from your itunes account purchase history manually if you call them, then you will not have them come up on your phone. worth a shot. it should be an option though through the itunes online account in my opinion.

Eh, not going to call them. It doesn't bother me that much but it would be nice to have that option when the final version of 5.0 is released. If not, I think a lot of people will be a little upset. It's not a privacy issue for me, it's more of a I deleted them for a reason, I don't want to see them again issue. Lol.

RobMoss

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Eh, not going to call them. It doesn't bother me that much but it would be nice to have that option when the final version of 5.0 is released. If not, I think a lot of people will be a little upset. It's not a privacy issue for me, it's more of a I deleted them for a reason, I don't want to see them again issue. Lol.

This. I've downloaded plenty of apps that sounded good, but were absolute dung. I've downloaded free versions of apps that I've gone on to buy the full versions of. I've downloaded several similar apps to see which one I wanted to use. In all of these cases, I don't want the ones I deleted to appear on my list of available updates because there's no way I'd want them again.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
It's simple enough for Apple to provide a means to hide apps from the list. Probably would take a developer 4 hours to put it together. They should just do it. I sent them feedback to that effect.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
for everyone complaining about dont share your apple ID. do you all have families. i guess not. my family shares an ID and thats where i am running into. im not hiding anything. but i have downloaded about 1200-1300 apps as well. now im in college and have my own credit card. i made my own apple ID (through mobileme). my sister and i share the family one. if i buy an app she will like i buy it on the family account. if its an ipad app or something she wont use like all the utility apps, i use my account. i wish apple had a way to transfer purchases over to another account once or something because eventually when my parents are older and dont need an apple ID my sister will take the family one and i will continue to use my current. i need a way to transfer all the purchases over to my account. this is something i really wish they would address.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
for everyone complaining about dont share your apple ID. do you all have families. i guess not. my family shares an ID and thats where i am running into. im not hiding anything. but i have downloaded about 1200-1300 apps as well. now im in college and have my own credit card. i made my own apple ID (through mobileme). my sister and i share the family one. if i buy an app she will like i buy it on the family account. if its an ipad app or something she wont use like all the utility apps, i use my account. i wish apple had a way to transfer purchases over to another account once or something because eventually when my parents are older and dont need an apple ID my sister will take the family one and i will continue to use my current. i need a way to transfer all the purchases over to my account. this is something i really wish they would address.

thats confusing

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
thats confusing

i know lol.

-basically we made family account a few years ago.
-i grew up and have my own account now.
-my sister will use family account as her own from now on.
-i need to transfer all purchases i made when we shared our family account to my new one.

thats a little better i think.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
It's very simple. All apple needs is a swipe to the left or right with a big red button that says "hide".

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It's implied by the ability to authorize up to 5 computers and 10 devices per account, as well as Home Sharing. Even Apple doesn't want a family to pay for the same content several times over.

Seriously people, lets put our common sense hats back on. Apple is not perfect so stop defending them as if they can do no wrong. This is a nice feature that just needs some refinement, and it is OK for users to ask for it.

This isn't a HUGE deal or even a privacy issue. It's simply a user experience issue that is very Un-Apple like. Apple puts the user experience first, but scrolling though a list of thousands of apps (many duplicates with lite versions and obsolete apps ie. AtBat 2010, 2011, Apple Bumper program) does not present itself as a good user experience. Add in kids of all ages seeing what their parents have purchased even with parental controls turned on makes this a must have feature for many families. It also highlights holes in the parental control logic.

lol implied? i see the 5 computers things as for people that have a home PC, a laptop and a work computer.

in my family, we all have our own apple ID's. my cousin has his own one, he's 13 and it's controlled by his parents, with parental controls, etc.

it's in the T&C's to keep your apple ID confidential and not to share it.

plus if you have tons of obselete apps, you don't have to scroll through them all, there's a hand search at the top of the list, so that solves that issue.

which just leaves us with the people that share their apple ID's even tho it's against the T&Cs........ so their tough luck really

tlbwriter

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
This strikes me like Amazon's purchase history. Every book (or anything else you buy) is noted forever in your purchase history. No outrage at Amazon?

No, it's not like Amazon at all. If I buy a book at Amazon, I can give it to my 11 year old when I'm done without her having to sign on to my account. If I buy a song through iTunes, the only way I can share it with my child is to have her on my account (or buy it twice).

Like most families we share an Applie ID, Apple designed it this way. If my wife and I purchase 1001 sex positions, karma sutra and other apps for our own use our 11 year old daughter can now see those purchases.

Note to self... there's a kama sutra app out there... :D

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
i know lol.

-basically we made family account a few years ago.
-i grew up and have my own account now.
-my sister will use family account as her own from now on.
-i need to transfer all purchases i made when we shared our family account to my new one.

thats a little better i think.

ahh would it be easier for you to keep the old one a d get your sister to start the new one?

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
ahh would it be easier for you to keep the old one a d get your sister to start the new one?

well i already have all my ipad apps done through my mobileme account bc my parents dont have an ipad. i also have some mac apps on there as well. im just going to email apple when the time comes to see if they can do a one time transfer.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
If anyone is seriously worried about this, just use separate accounts and then sync shared apps via iTunes. Yeah, it's not as convenient but it's no less inconvenient than it is now.
As an aside, if someone knows your account details, they've always been able to see a list of your previous purchases through the account pages of iTunes so I don't see why it's suddenly such a big issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.