How to remove icons from iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by OCOTILLO, Sep 24, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Is there any way to remove icons from the iPhone home Page? I would dearly love to get rid of You Tube from my phone.
  2. macrumors 68040

Jun 9, 2007
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2007
    You want to delete youtube?
    If anything I'd get rid of stocks.
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I would do that but my screen is too greasy to accept the ink.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2007
  6. macrumors regular

May 7, 2005
    If I could, I'd get rid of the "Stocks" button. I guess I'm a little OCD about it, but I'd like to delete the stocks button.

Also, while we're at it, maybe make the weather icon show the currently updated temperature, instead of always 73. (Or is this already possible and I'm just missing something?) :eek:
  7. macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
  8. macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2004
    Catskill Mountains
  9. macrumors regular

May 7, 2005
    The first jest with the Sharpie was amusing, the latter attempts... not so much.
  10. macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2008
    to remove icons from the springboard you can use customize but if its an application like stocks or weather that you know your not going to use there is a way to remove it for good or until you do a restore.
    this works for any other app that you want to remove
    to remove them you'll need to have a jailbroken iphone
    SSH in to the phone with your fav software i use WinSCP (a lot of tutorials recommend it.)
    browse to /private/var/Applications
    this is where all of the applications are saved
    all you need to do is delete the folder for stocks, weather, the itunes store =
    and you done it they don't disappear from the springboard restart the phone
  11. macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2007
    If you are just on regular 1.1.3 you can drag the icons you use over to a new page, and then they are out of view unless you really want to access them.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2007
    Only if it's jailbroken. Then you can install an app called Poof! that will let you hide icons.
  13. macrumors member

Oct 22, 2007
    I use a handy little App called poof from installer. It enables you to hide or show any icon you wish :) Hope this helps. ;)
  14. macrumors member

Nov 28, 2007
    yes just move all the icons you dont like to the second screen, then your main screen is nice and tidy.

not sure why anyone would get rid of the stocks icon, its the only native app of any genuine use in the real world.
  15. macrumors member

Nov 28, 2007
    and definately have the icons as autoupdating -so the weather icon always is the current weather forecast and temp.

that would be sweet.
  16. macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    I have three front screens, one with phone apps, the second screen with webclips and third screen apps I don't use i.e. stocks.
  17. macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2008
    How to remove unwanted iphone startup screen icons

Hold your finger on the icon you wish to delete (for at least 3 seconds) until all the icons start shaking like an earthquake. You then have the option to delete the ones that you have added by clicking the X to delete. Those you can delete will have an X on the top left corner of the icon that will allow you to delete that icon by touching it. (Jailbroken iphone 1st edition)

Good Luck.:rolleyes:
  18. macrumors 604

Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA

closing your left eye, then click your heels until they hurt. :p
  19. macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2007
    yeah, safari, mail, and the phone part are completely useless [​IMG]
  20. macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2008
    Somewhere You've Never Heard Of, NJ
    I second that. I can't believe Apple would have the audacity to add these things. I mean, what were they thinking!? :D
  21. macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2008
    He wanted YouTube gone. Not a webapp.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2007

my sister's friend's boyfriend's brother-in-law works at an apple store.. he said these were coming FIRST WEEK OF MARCH confirmed!
  23. macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2008
    :D Thanks tha was Great Help...:apple:
  24. macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2008
    i can't believe it took 17 posts before someone actually answered the persons question. aren't forums supposed to be about help? seems like there is way too many "comedians" on here.....douches..
  25. macrumors 68040

Sep 29, 2005
    If you were following the basic mood of the thread and had any reading comprehension ability, you would have seen that it was light-hearted, with the poster even joining in on a joke and not re-asking his question. It was answered within 15 minutes, stop getting your pants in a bunch.

EDIT: damnit, you resurrected this post just to say that? The original post is like a year old.