Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I had a pen leak today and I inadvertently got some on my watch band. It's a faint blue stain but I'd like to get rid of it. I tried the following so far with no success:

Water
Hand sanitizer
Pink pencil eraser
Toothpaste and water rubbed with a microfiber.

Thanks.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
acetone - but make sure you test a spot first on the back of the strap to make sure it doesn't dissolve the strap. If it doesn't, then try it out on the ink.

BTW- I checked an elastomer compatibility chart to hopefully figure out action's reactivity to fluoroelastomer, they didn't have it listed. Just be mindful of testing a spot first.

Last edited:

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Vinegar?

----------

Nail polish remover?

Vinegar didn't work, kinda scared to try acetone.

Try Hairspray. Just the cheap non scented stuff.

It works great to remove ink from clothing.

Hairspray....sounds weird...but it works

Tried it, unfortunately didn't result in any improvement

Mr. Clean Eraser stick!

This is the next move, I will pick one up tomorrow.

I'll never buy a white band again, this is very frustrating. But I was planning on replacing it with a leather black band anyway.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I got the white band - I love that it stays so clean! I'll try to keep it from ink tho.

If magic eraser doesn't work, and if you're planning on replacing the band, what will testing the band w/ acetone hurt? Just try a small area if you end up doing that. Also, if you don't mind sending me a PM if you end up having to try it, I'd appreciate it – just bc I'm curious. ;)

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Hairspray....sounds weird...but it works

I use hairspray to get ink out of clothing. Maybe it would work on the band.

Another vote for hairspray. It's magical.

Hair spray works for things like this because it has a high alcohol content, but just using plain rubbing alcohol would work just as well (or even better, since it won't leave a sticky residue). Additionally there's a lot more alcohol free hair spray sold now which won't do anything useful for ink stains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.