Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
I really don't know what the deal is, but when working with external devices such as USB hard drives, the Finder usually has a hell of a time the last few days.

As I am typing this, Quicksilver is frozen, the Finder is unresponsive, Disk Utility wont go away and no matter how many times I force quit them, they are still there. The Dock is completely unresponsive as well. I am sick of crashing on OS X and risking the chance of a force reset and damage one of the hard drives I have.

My question is that given that my OS is mega-unstable (I just installed OS X last week and RAM is brand new), is there a freakin way of restarting OS X without a hard reset? I have tried sudo shutdown -r now in the terminal and nothing happens. This is so annoying. :mad:

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Is it like this only when you connect external devices? Maybe look into see if there are any problems with the external devices..test them on another Mac if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.