Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
My company recently gave me a 12" MB to use in addition to my 15". Due to the lack of ports and inability to connect more external monitors, the 15" has to continue to be my daily driver.
How can I restore my rMB back to factory and remove all my company stuff? I'd rather use this as a personal laptop instead.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Hold Cmd + R at startup to enter Internet Recovery. This will allow you to utilize Apple's servers to reinstall OS X.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The simple steps are:
Reboot, holding Command+R - you will boot to the recovery system.
When you get to the menus, choose Disk Utility, and erase the system partition.
Quit Disk Utility, and continue on with Reinstall OS X.
And, everything that your have added will be gone. The OS X reinstall will take you back to factory fresh, and you will set up your MBook as a new user.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I was able to do command + option + R and get to internet recovery...can I wipe and reload from here

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I was able to do command + option + R and get to internet recovery...can I wipe and reload from here

Yes. Use Disk Utility to erase and reformat the SSD first, and then choose to proceed with Internet Recovery and OS X installation with your destination being whatever you named said reformatted internal SSD.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I went ahead and did reinstall osx from the Internet recovery and now I see this..

Does that time mean it'll be done this year???

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Lol, "Brain" the SSD.

It could just be a display error. Is the progress bar moving at all?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I'm sure it will be done sometime during this year. :D
This procedure is doing EVERYTHING through your wireless internet connection.
It can take quite a long time (could be a couple of hours or more)
The odd estimate of time is just that, an estimate... Give the process 2 to 3 hours, and it should be near complete. Ignore the computed time estimate, unless you enjoy watching weird time countdowns...

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Lol, "Brain" the SSD.

It could just be a display error. Is the progress bar moving at all?

I cancelled it and went to disk utility. I deleted "brain" and now it says Macintosh hd. However, now when I go into reinstall os..it says select the drive and nothing is there to select.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Go ahead and partition it. You have to apply those changes before proceeding with installation.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Does repairing it do anything? In any case, you should not have deleted the disk image, only erased it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Here's how I would proceed:
Go back into Disk Utility. Choose the device from the list, which lists the model number for your drive, size, etc.
Click the Partition tab, then click Partition Layout.
Choose "1 Partition", Name your partition whatever you like, then click the Apply button. This takes a few seconds, and removes all partitions, creating just one to fill the drive.
When that completes, Quit Disk Utility.
Quit the installer, and choose to turn off your MacBook.
Restart to internet recovery again, and you should be able to continue on with the install.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
It does nothing...please don't tell me I'm dead in the water...

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Here's how I would proceed:
Go back into Disk Utility. Choose the device from the list, which lists the model number for your drive, size, etc.
Click the Partition tab, then click Partition Layout.
Choose "1 Partition", Name your partition whatever you like, then click the Apply button. This takes a few seconds, and removes all partitions, creating just one to fill the drive.
When that completes, Quit Disk Utility.
Quit the installer, and choose to turn off your MacBook.
Restart to internet recovery again, and you should be able to continue on with the install.

Even the name is grayed out. Would this have anything to do with full disk encryption we use at work?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you mean that you couldn't revert the volume group.
It WILL work after you do the reversion.
The reason that I say that, is that your screen shot of the Disk Utility shows that you have a volume group, and there's nothing you can do until you revert back to a normal device/volume. And, then you will be able to reinstall.

If you were able to revert, then you also have to erase again, and the partition layout to one partition that I suggested, should also do your job. You may need to try that again, if you haven't since you reverted.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Do you mean that you couldn't revert the volume group.
It WILL work after you do the reversion.
The reason that I say that, is that your screen shot of the Disk Utility shows that you have a volume group, and there's nothing you can do until you revert back to a normal device/volume. And, then you will be able to reinstall.

If you were able to revert, then you also have to erase again, and the partition layout to one partition that I suggested, should also do your job. You may need to try that again, if you haven't since you reverted.
I did the list cmd and it didn't show anything with a UUID like the thread said, so I didn't have anything more to do from that link. Did I miss something?

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
**breaking**

I shutdown and gave up. Decided to try again. Ran the list cmd...got a uuid, ran the kill cmd with the uuid. It ran something. Went back in disk utility...was able to make a partition...made it 250gb, named it. Apply. Exited, reinstall os. Now running showing two billion hours. I'll wait. My mifi will hate me later.

Thanks so much for help

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Glad to hear that you are making some progress...

Is your mifi battery powered? Might want to watch the time, in that case :D
I always recommend that an ethernet connection is your best choice when using the internet recovery.
But, I also recognize that not everyone has the adapter needed to do that with a rMB.
And, a proper wireless router would also likely be better than what you have.
Eh..., but you get to "run what you brung" - good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.