Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I have seen the pop-up at times when I log into a forum and it'll ask if I want to save the password, I click yes but certain forums still log me out (even after checking stay logged in).

Is there some place in settings I can enter passwords and have them saved? I'm not sure if that's a good idea but since my iMacs password protected guess it doesn't matter, if my units stolen they can probably break into it and get info anyway.

Nov 28, 2010
located
What browser do you use then?

In Safari and Opera my passwords are saved and I rarely have to login (maybe once a week or less on MacRumors though due to some hiccups).

I also use this Remember Me checkbox.

MR2ss_2013_04_02_pA1_ForumsRememberMe.png

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
What browser do you use then?

In Safari and Opera my passwords are saved and I rarely have to login (maybe once a week or less on MacRumors though due to some hiccups).

I also use this Remember Me checkbox.

I use Chrome. Yeah, it remembers the passwords for most forums MacRumors included but there are a few that it doesn't save my password for and I do check the remember option.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Haha... I don't think he means he uses the password 'admin', I think he means he uses his admin password for all his sites. Still, that's pretty mouth agaping!

Actually I was just being humorous. I have different passwords for everything that contain random numbers and letters and stored somewhere completely safe!

Recently saw an episode of the mentalist that claimed qwerty was the 5 most common password. Wtf? Is that really true? What are the other top 4? My guess is
Password
Admin
Date of birth!

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
^ thirded. At first glance the price seems high for what it does, but it's so worth the cost. This is a fantastic app.
Can you explain how it works to an average joe and in non marketing "we're going to make this sound so good so you can buy it" terms from their website ?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Can you explain how it works to an average joe and in non marketing "we're going to make this sound so good so you can buy it" terms from their website ?

Assume you are asking about 1Password.

It has several "what I consider" fantastic features.

1) Extremely secure
2) Manages all of your passwords or other sensitive info
3) Auto generates a new password for every site
4) Auto fills passwords as you navigate to new sites (hotkey)
5) Works across my OSX - Windows - iOS devices

#3 is really important. If your password is compromised on any site... then it is quite possible that password is used across multiple sites. The vast majority of people have (and use) fewer than 5 passwords. Most probably have fewer than 3.

Example: A friend of mine had his Amazon account hacked. He was called by Amazon prior to them shipping $3000 of consumer electronics equipment to someone. He has no idea how it happened. However... he also used the same password for other shopping site... his bank account... his 401K account... his stock brokerage account... you get the idea.

He did go and change the passwords everywhere. It took him months to do. He was vulnerable this entire time.

With 1Password... each and every password is unique and complex. A typical password of mine is: knBV;PVg;iFLqG9WoeBW3yGb. Likewise... a similar string fills in all of the extremely insecure back doors to password reset such as: Mothers maiden name... favorite pet... etc.

I suggest that you just do it and never look back. You will never forget a password again, and your security will be increased considerably.

/Jim

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States

1) Extremely secure

#3 is really important. If your password is compromised on any site... then it is quite possible that password is used across multiple sites. The vast majority of people have (and use) fewer than 5 passwords. Most probably have fewer than 3.

Example: A friend of mine had his Amazon account hacked. He was called by Amazon prior to them shipping $3000 of consumer electronics equipment to someone. He has no idea how it happened. However... he also used the same password for other shopping site... his bank account... his 401K account... his stock brokerage account... you get the idea.

He did go and change the passwords everywhere. It took him months to do. He was vulnerable this entire time.

With 1Password... each and every password is unique and complex. A typical password of mine is: knBV;PVg;iFLqG9WoeBW3yGb. Likewise... a similar string fills in all of the extremely insecure back doors to password reset such as: Mothers maiden name... favorite pet... etc.

I suggest that you just do it and never look back. You will never forget a password again, and your security will be increased considerably.

/Jim

Thanks Jim,

1Password sounds fantastic. What if I have multiple computers at home and a few I use at work?

1.) Can one purchase of the program 1Password be used on all of those computers and my iPhone?
2.) If so, can 1Password still use the same unique password for a given website across all of my Macs and PC's?
3. How then does 1Password transfer the unique passwords it generates for each website to my various Macs and PC's?

kapalua

view2darrel

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
1password. highly recommended. i use it. it syncs only on dropbox for now and icloud will be on future.

i dont need to remember any password now. just my password for 1password

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks Jim,

1Password sounds fantastic. What if I have multiple computers at home and a few I use at work?

1.) Can one purchase of the program 1Password be used on all of those computers and my iPhone?
2.) If so, can 1Password still use the same unique password for a given website across all of my Macs and PC's?
3. How then does 1Password transfer the unique passwords it generates for each website to my various Macs and PC's?

kapalua

The most common way to sync is to use dropbox... but you do not have to.

The iOS version already uses iCloud... and I am fairly sure that V4 of the OSX version will as well.

You can buy the OSX version on the Mac App Store. Agilebits has committed that anyone buying V3 from the MAS would get a free upgrade to V4 when it is released.

If you have both Macs, PCs, and iOS devices... they are separate products. I have all three that I bought back in '09... but I have since stopped using PCs. The iOS version is a universal app so it will work on both iPhones and iPads. It is optimized for both.

Yes... you can use the same password for all of the computers that you use. In fact... since the data is encrypted the same on all of them... you may have to. I haven't checked... as I use the same single password to unlock the vaults in all 3 products.

/Jim

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

1) Extremely secure

/Jim
Jim,
I appreciate the response, so went ahead downloaded it and am on a trial if all goes well I'll purchase.

So let me get this straight I am trying to set it up and have all my passwords changed. Instead of manually going into the "Logins" section and inputting my forum url and passwords....is it better to simply log in on a website as normal and then when the pop-up banner comes out asking to save your pass to 1Password you save it? And then you go into the "Logins" section, generate a secure numeric password, and manually go to the said forum and change/update to the new password you generated?

I hope that makes sense and I understood it correctly. I got the iOS app and managed to get dropbox synced between my Mac and iPad, the thing I don't know is how to login to said saved forums/passwords when in Safari on my iPad. Do I have to use the 1Password browser? That would be awful if so and not very convenient. I hope this isn't the case as it would be a killer for me.

Last edited:

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Jim,
I appreciate the response, so went ahead downloaded it and am on a trial if all goes well I'll purchase.

So let me get this straight I am trying to set it up and have all my passwords changed. Instead of manually going into the "Logins" section and inputting my forum url and passwords....is it better to simply log in on a website as normal and then when the pop-up banner comes out asking to save your pass to 1Password you save it? And then you go into the "Logins" section, generate a secure numeric password, and manually go to the said forum and change/update to the new password you generated?

I hope that makes sense and I understood it correctly. I got the iOS app and managed to get dropbox synced between my Mac and iPad, the thing I don't know is how to login to said saved forums/passwords when in Safari on my iPad. Do I have to use the 1Password browser? That would be awful if so and not very convenient. I hope this isn't the case as it would be a killer for me.

Unfortunately... Apple sandboxing does NOT let apps talk to each other... so yes... if you want automatic password filling on iOS devices... you must use the 1Password browser.

I find that as time goes on... I do fewer and fewer "web browser" accesses on my iPhone/iPad... and instead use specific apps. For sites that I must use a browser... I have not found any problems using the 1P browser.

The other option is to cut/paste from 1P into the browsers. Kind of clunky... but better than nothing. There is just no way that I am going to re-use passwords from site to site... so I put up with this on iOS devices... given this Apple policy restriction. I wish they would make exceptions for things like password managers. Things work perfect in OSX.

When you change your passwords in each site... make sure you change your "special questions"... such as Mothers maiden name... favorite pet... etc. I make up a new data of birth for every site too. All is stored in 1P.

/Jim

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Unfortunately... Apple sandboxing does NOT let apps talk to each other... so yes... if you want automatic password filling on iOS devices... you must use the 1Password browser.

I find that as time goes on... I do fewer and fewer "web browser" accesses on my iPhone/iPad... and instead use specific apps. For sites that I must use a browser... I have not found any problems using the 1P browser.

The other option is to cut/paste from 1P into the browsers. Kind of clunky... but better than nothing. There is just no way that I am going to re-use passwords from site to site... so I put up with this on iOS devices... given this Apple policy restriction. I wish they would make exceptions for things like password managers. Things work perfect in OSX.

When you change your passwords in each site... make sure you change your "special questions"... such as Mothers maiden name... favorite pet... etc. I make up a new data of birth for every site too. All is stored in 1P.

/Jim
Hi Jim
I guess it's something I'll live with then. I went ahead and went the copy and paste route as I'm always in and out of safari and my bookmarks. I pretty much am just using the "remember me" option for forums so I don't have to constantly copy it over, is this bad and kinna delete the purpose of it? I figure the password is still generated by 1PW so still more secure than my old passwords which ill admit was guilty of using the same across different usernames.

I haven't changed up my passwords to my emails yet read some horror stories of guys getting locked out of their own emails somehow. I will probably do it, but to think if I don't have my iPhone or iMac near me I won't be able to access them kind of sucks.

I also haven't input my info to my bank. The bank I use doesn't have a sign-in and password on the same page..so I wouldn't be able to use the all-in-one login via the Chrome extension on my Mac that's ok right? I would just let it generate a password and copy and paste over from 1PW when I login to my bank? Sorry for all the questions just trying to better understand the app from first hand experience.

Thanks!
Bob

Last edited:

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
The bank I use doesn't have a sign-in and password on the same page..so I wouldn't be able to use the all-in-one login via the Chrome extension on my Mac that's ok right?

This actually works fine with 1Password. You just use the autologin plugin on both pages. The fields have names and 1Password track the field names, so it will submit the appropriate value on each of the pages from the same site record in its database.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Hi Jim
I guess it's something I'll live with then. I went ahead and went the copy and paste route as I'm always in and out of safari and my bookmarks. I pretty much am just using the "remember me" option for forums so I don't have to constantly copy it over, is this bad and kinna delete the purpose of it? I figure the password is still generated by 1PW so still more secure than my old passwords which ill admit was guilty of using the same across different usernames.

I haven't changed up my passwords to my emails yet read some horror stories of guys getting locked out of their own emails somehow. I will probably do it, but to think if I don't have my iPhone or iMac near me I won't be able to access them kind of sucks.

I also haven't input my info to my bank. The bank I use doesn't have a sign-in and password on the same page..so I wouldn't be able to use the all-in-one login via the Chrome extension on my Mac that's ok right? I would just let it generate a password and copy and paste over from 1PW when I login to my bank? Sorry for all the questions just trying to better understand the app from first hand experience.

Thanks!
Bob

For things like forums... I generally think it is fine to let the browser remember the password. Since there is no financial or "severe privacy" issues in play, then the risk is minimal. More importantly, since each password is unique... if your "forum" account was hacked... the PW is not usable anywhere else.

/Jim

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
This actually works fine with 1Password. You just use the autologin plugin on both pages. The fields have names and 1Password track the field names, so it will submit the appropriate value on each of the pages from the same site record in its database.
I guess its hit or miss didn't work for me for the login, filled my username and then filled my username again into a blank entry that was supposed to be for a zipcode to search local teller machines. It did work for the second login page and input my password for me so I'm good.

For things like forums... I generally think it is fine to let the browser remember the password. Since there is no financial or "severe privacy" issues in play, then the risk is minimal. More importantly, since each password is unique... if your "forum" account was hacked... the PW is not usable anywhere else.

/Jim
Jim,
I agree that makes sense, figured it would be ok to go that route for forums. I would never do it if it was for my bank, don't think bank websites allow saved logins anyway.

I have one more question for you and promise to leave you alone. Do you or people normally use the wallet and credit card section without any worry of this getting compromised by someone? I realize the app is made specifically for security but still feel kind of iffy just inputting all my information here. Then again if my wallet or cards were stolen I'd assume this info would be good to have.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Jim,
I agree that makes sense, figured it would be ok to go that route for forums. I would never do it if it was for my bank, don't think bank websites allow saved logins anyway.

I have one more question for you and promise to leave you alone. Do you or people normally use the wallet and credit card section without any worry of this getting compromised by someone? I realize the app is made specifically for security but still feel kind of iffy just inputting all my information here. Then again if my wallet or cards were stolen I'd assume this info would be good to have.

No need to feel gun-shy on asking questions.

I do use both the wallet and also the identities. Very useful in filling out forms. I also store the contact information from the back of the credit card in the notes field. That way... I have the phone number to call should I lose a credit card, or if my physical wallet was stollen.

I have a long complex (yet easy to remember and type) password for 1PW. I use it so often, that my fingers just fly on it without my brain working.

I am long past the "use public computers" phase of life. I am almost never more than arms length away from one or more of my: iPhone, iPad, MBA, or iMAC. They all sync perfectly.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.