How to set Video Poster Frame

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by LV426, Jan 22, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

(Mountain Lion, MacBook Pro)

In Finder, I have a bunch of movies that are shown as thumbnails. MOV files, 3GP, various formats, you name it...

However, most of the thumbnails do not represent the corresponding movie very well. Is there any way in Finder / QuickTime that I can set the poster frame of a particular movie? Doing a Google search, it seems that an option to "Set Poster Frame" existed at one time in QuickTime, but I don't see this option anywhere in the version that I'm using.

2. macrumors 601

talmy

You can still buy Quicktime 7 Pro, which will allow you to set the poster frame.
    Search for "Quicktime 7 Pro" on the Apple website.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, talmy. But that sounds like a yukky solution IMHO! Installing the prerequisite Quicktime 7 player (the current inbuilt player is up to version 10.2), then paying for a version 7 product which doesn't even feature on the App store sounds a little extreme! Sigh. Life really shouldn't be this difficult :eek:

4. macrumors 6502

Easy, but manually-intensive.
    Open the movie in QT and navigate to the desired thumbnail image (or poster frame).
    Copy (command C)
    In Finder, Get info on the movie. At the top of the pop-up window, upper left, is a small QT image. Click on it, then command-V (paste).

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, it works! Thanks very much :)

6. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

As an aside, don't like the higher number fool you as QT 7 is still a more feature laden tool than QT 10 (although Apple is slowly building QT 10 back up)