Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

figma

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
WHat in the world does SR stand for and how can i tell if my Macbook is one?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
RAM, RAM, RAM. And don't let your HD get beyond 80% capacity.

You forgot to mention RAM.

Get rid of the bottlenecks outside of the CPU.

For example, RAM...

hop on a bullet train...:D

maximize the RAM and depending on what you are doing if you put a higher speed HDD you could also increase the speed, many people say their experience is "snappier".

You could always add RAM. Also, always clean out your cache. The cleaner your machine is the better it will run.

Just in case it wasn't already mentioned:

RAM

:p

freeloader

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
London
Is that a 120?

Rule of thumb - never go below 10% (12 Gigs), optimum, keep it at 20% free (24 Gigs free).

Your sig says 160...

Do you have enough RAM? :p

hehe.i jus realised that don't add up. I bought the macbook that was £829. This one has the 160 HDD. So how come it says 111.47GB which means its 120 GB? Does that mean i got ripped off??

On the 'about this mac' and 'get more info' where does it tell you how much HDD you have?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
hehe.i jus realised that don't add up. I bought the macbook that was £829. This one has the 160 HDD. So how come it says 111.47GB which means its 120 GB? Does that mean i got ripped off??

On the 'about this mac' and 'get more info' where does it tell you how much HDD you have?

check your computer info - the drive model's in there, the ATA section.

my 320 says something like 297 MB....

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Sprint:pPC6800)

formatted hard drive capacities are less than the actual pesented capacity. (example: a 120 hd is often around 112 when formatted, the reason being hd's are done 1000 mb per gb, while the computer reads 1024 mb per gb.)

as for whether a mb is sr or pre-sr, the easiest way to check is to look at yourraphics card. during the last refresh before penryn, sr macbooks were released at 2.0 and 2.2 speeds, with the gma950 being upgraded to the x3100. so if you have an x3100 graphics card, you have the santa rosa chipset.

freeloader

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
London
check your computer info - the drive model's in there, the ATA section.

my 320 says something like 297 MB....

I just checked some info out and i just realised the problem. Its definitely 120GB, 1 GB. I feel so angry and upset at myself and PC WORLD! If i knew it was that i would have just bought it from freakin AppleStore! Cos i get 2GB plus the 40 extra HDD at £829, the same price i bought my laptop.

I am so pissed off right now....people are so laughing at me right now of my stupidity :(! I was soooo sure it was the right one too. I want to kick something right now!
I am so gonna do something about this! I bought in November i'm sure i can do something about it...

Thanks for the heads up! Even though i am totally embarrassed...lol

meyer1131

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
i may stand corrected yet i am pretty sure you can have too much ram. also is it bad if you put non apple ram into a macbook?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
i may stand corrected yet i am pretty sure you can have too much ram. also is it bad if you put non apple ram into a macbook?

Technically speaking, Apple doesn't make it's own RAM Modules.
Often they usually use Samsung

- Just because it's not for mainstream PC's doesn't make it more Mac RAM, make sense?

castk942

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
How to speed up a Macbook

I reinstalled by operating system (I got the cd with the computer). Then I updated the software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.