Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi,

I'm about to purchase a Mac Book Pro, when my 12" PowerBook G4 finally quits and hopefully when the chips are upgraded.

On my PowerMac, I have dabbled my hand with DJ'ing using Traktor, and as much as I like the app and know how to DJ, I ind it tremendously difficult without the help of a mixer, headphones and stereo output.

What I intend for when I get my MBP is to have my dance music collection stored on it, so I can DJ, but also have some kind of mixer input so mixing is easier, and also so there is a headphone jack so that I can listen to the song which is not playing through the speakers to beat match.

What do I need other than a MBP, Traktor and headphones. I know I need some kind of mixer, but what kind? It is essential for me to have all the connections so that I can output my mix, but also listen to the song which I plan to bring in next. What do I need to do this?

I feel that at the moment turntables are not essential to mix on the Mac, just the mixer, but I would like other peoples opinions on this, as I plan to mix mainly garage and dance, and not so much hip-hop and scratching.

Thanks for any help!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
this is actually two separate issues:
1. you want hardware control of certain audio functions
2. you need a minimum of 4 channels of d/a conversion

you're going to have to buy a 4 channel d/a box, that's a given. but you've a choice to make for the hardware control -- you can either get a control surface to control the software, or you can get a hardware mixer and do your levels and routing in hardware.

personally, i don't like cheap mixers, because of the way they affect audio. but for a club situation, it probably won't make much difference. if you go that route, just be sure that the routing matrix will allow what you need with the headphone mix. most mixers should have that, and then you'll connect your headphones to the mixer.

likewise, if you go with the control surface, your s/w must have the appopriate routing (i'm not familiar w/ DJ s/w), and the control surface must be able to access it. in this scenario, you'd have to connect your headphones to the converter box, so make sure whatever box you get will allow you to monitor different channels over the phones w/o affecting the main out. this seems like a taller order than the h/w mixer, but you may find this approach gives you more flexibility in the s/w and may open up some opportunities you've not thought of.

interesting problem.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
So if I buy a firewire audio card, such as the Stnaton FinalScratch 2, this will give me all the connections I need?

However, at the moment it is not compatible with Intel Macs, according to the Stanton website. Is this true or does this mean the software isn't universal yet, becaue I cannot see how hardware can be compatible with PowerPC Tiger and not Intel Tiger?

Does anyone know of similar audio cards to the Stanton FinalScratch 2, which are just as acclaimed?

Thanks

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
gangst said:
So if I buy a firewire audio card, such as the Stnaton FinalScratch 2, this will give me all the connections I need?

However, at the moment it is not compatible with Intel Macs, according to the Stanton website. Is this true or does this mean the software isn't universal yet, becaue I cannot see how hardware can be compatible with PowerPC Tiger and not Intel Tiger?

Does anyone know of similar audio cards to the Stanton FinalScratch 2, which are just as acclaimed?

Thanks

Serato Scratch Live is compatible with Intel Macs.

http://www.serato.com/products/scratchlive/

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
For hardware control (MIDI) of Traktor, I can HIGHLY recommend Kontrol DJ.
The quality of this thing is awesome, as well as the personal tech support found in the forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.