1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

How to stop 3.0 prompt for iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by AdamLikesMusic, Jul 12, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

Is there a "no" option for this?

Every single time I plug my iPod Touch into my computer/iTunes, I'm prompted to purchase the 3.0 software for it. I have an iPhone, so the iPod Touch is just used for music - no need to spend $10 on the update. My only options are "buy now" or "remind me later". Is there a "stop asking me" button? Perhaps a setting in iTunes?

Thanks.

(I posted here rather than the iPod Touch forum, as this isn't a problem with my iPod. The iPod works fine, and I couldn't be happier. It's iTunes that's pissing me off.)

2. macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

I have a fix, but it'll cost you $10.

Seriously though, can you come up with $10? It's not just for the new apps, but it's always best practice to run an up-to-date version of any OS.

3. macrumors regular

I'm not keen on the upgrade purely because I have a 1st gen iPod touch. What I get for my money is not much :(

These days I am an "ethical" downloader. So I will not consider other means of aqcuiring it...:)

4. macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, there are only three options:

1.) Spend the $10 and buy the OS. I have a 1st gen iPod touch, and I can tell you that in addition to the new features and apps, there is a noticable speed increase. (YES)

2.) Get the OS through "questionable" methods (NO)

3.) Deal with the irritating popup. (MAYBE)

5. macrumors 6502

Thanks, I guess.

I'm not paying $10 for the update, as I have a first gen iPod Touch, for starters, and it literally more often than not sits in my glove box, connected to my car stereo. I don't use it to surf the web, play games, or anything of the such.

I find it pretty obnoxious that there's not a "no thanks" option, especially after one clicks "remind me later" a dozen times.