Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
I have an AirPort Extreme, and an Aiport Express set up to extend it. But I'm not sure if it's actually working that way, and am having a hard time making that determination.

When I stand fairly close to the Express, I often see only two bars of signal strength. When I open up Airport utility on my phone, it says that the only client for the Express is a TIVO that is connected via Ethernet. All other wireless devices are listed as being connected to the base station.

My thinking is that when I'm standing near the Express I should get a full 3 bars of wifi, and... well I'm not sure if Airport utility would show me connected to the Extreme or the Express.

Is there an easy way to confirm what mode everything is working in?

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
So you've set it up in your Mac's WiFi settings to extend your exisiting network? And you've checked it has the same SSID amd password?

Last edited:

neilw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Found it, finally. The AE was set to "Join a network" rather than "Extend a network". Which is weird, because I'm pretty sure I initially set it up to extend a network.

Also annoying that the iOS app doesn't provide access to those settings (at least I couldn't find them); I haven't had access to my Mac for a few days to I had hoped I could do it all from my phone. I guess not.

In any case, it seems to be working now.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
FWIW, you can use Wifi Explorer (free in the MAS) to get a pretty easy idea of what's going on around you wifi-wise. Also helps with picking a channel and etc. since you can visualize the spectrum and avoid interference.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Thanks, I'll give it a look. Any equivalent on iOS?

2j2jjwo.jpg

2cdwzef.jpg

I have an older TC setup as an extender.
To see if it's working just use the airport utility and look for wireless clients section. You can see which device is connected to which base station. You can also change all the radio channels as well.

Last edited:

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
I have had better luck using the older version of Airport utility , not sure if the features are now hidden or just missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.