Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Junkie2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I would check but I am in college and the phone is at my house and I will be going home tomorrow.

I was just wondering how to check? I have an o2 sim card and an att card.. does that mean if I put both in separately they will both work? or does it mean it will work with t-mobile even if its on 3.1.3?

btw the phone is a 3gs 32gb.

thanks in advance

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I would check but I am in college and the phone is at my house and I will be going home tomorrow.

I was just wondering how to check? I have an o2 sim card and an att card.. does that mean if I put both in separately they will both work? or does it mean it will work with t-mobile even if its on 3.1.3?

btw the phone is a 3gs 32gb.

thanks in advance

Yes, if its factory unlocked it will work with any companys sim you stick in.
Did you purchase it as factory unlocked or applied to have your carrier unlock it officially?

Junkie2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Yes, if its factory unlocked it will work with any companys sim you stick in.
Did you purchase it as factory unlocked or applied to have your carrier unlock it officially?

i'm pretty sure i got it factory unlocked.

... are you telling me if it is factory unlocked and i put a t-mobile sim card in, then the service will be recognized?

Junkie2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Yes. Thats what all factory unlocked iphones supposed to do :)

I know haha.. i have just never had to deal with unlocked iphone because i'm on ATT... never knew how it worked.

thanks !

edit: one more question: How can you tell if it's unlocked if you dont have a t-mobile sim card?

bump for new question

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
According to this support article, every time you use iTunes to "Restore" an authorized unlocked iPhone, the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked" message will be displayed.

1) If you Restore your iPhone, and you see that message, then your iPhone has an authorized unlock.
2) If you Restore your iPhone and you do not see that message, then your iPhone is most likely locked.
2a) Warning: If your iPhone used to be unlocked by unauthorized means (hacking) and you perform this test, then it is very likely that your phone will end up being re-locked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.