1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

How to turn off / disable quicklook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uvsj, Dec 8, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Just got a new imac with 10.6. Our folder system has a lot of folders that the name starts with a space. To get around I used to just start typing the name of the folder starting with a space instead of scrolling through our long file list. Not the best system but we have thousands of folders with linked files and we are not going to change the names. Is there a way to turn off or disable quicklook so that I can use the space bar then type to find the folder?

2. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

As far as I know it's not possible to disable Quicklook.

As a suggestion, you might try using command-space instead and typing your folder name into Spotlight. I know that's not exactly what you want, but it should work OK.

3. macrumors 68020

John T

Right click on the Quicklook ikon. Go to "Customize Keyboard" and drag iKon.

4. macrumors 601

QuickLook icon? Where is that?

5. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

This one (attached). My right-click menu shows "Customize Toolbar" not "Customize Keyboard."

Attached Files:

6. macrumors 68020

John T

You're right!! What on earth made me type "Keyboard" when it should have been "Toolbar"? :eek: :eek:

7. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

Can just command+drag the icon off the Finder toolbar. But this doesn't disable Quick Look.

8. macrumors 601

Ok, well, that won't disable it. I thought it was a reference to an application icon, not a tool icon. (or is the latter supposed to be "ikon"?)

9. macrumors member

Really bloody annoying that you can't disable this feature.

10. macrumors 6502a

Mac was designed to use Spotlight, it works better in my opinion. Why try to navigate 10 folders deep when you can hit command + space, start typing and your files are right in front of you. You are just used to having things the way they did in another OS, I as a Mac user get pissed when I use my work laptop on windows and it is more difficult to navigate. It's not even that I am used to a Mac, I just started 6 months ago. I used Windows for over 10 years and Linux for 5, to each his own.

11. macrumors 68020

John T

Why? :confused: You don't have to use it!