Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustnotsleep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
I have been using T-mobile prepaid for a while now with an iPhone 4, but it only has minutes/texts with no mobile internet. I have read that buying an E71 from Walmart and switching sims would work for an iPhone, but I cannot find any specific details. Does this method still work? Is it 3G speed? What are the plan details exactly? $45/mo?

Basically, I just want a detailed description of what needs to be done before I spend $250 on the E71. Has anybody had any problems?

Thanks.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
I have been using T-mobile prepaid for a while now with an iPhone 4, but it only has minutes/texts with no mobile internet. I have read that buying an E71 from Walmart and switching sims would work for an iPhone, but I cannot find any specific details. Does this method still work? Is it 3G speed? What are the plan details exactly? $45/mo?

Basically, I just want a detailed description of what needs to be done before I spend $250 on the E71. Has anybody had any problems?

Thanks.

I haven't looked entirely into the specifics, but at the very minimum you're going to need to trim the sim card from the E71 into a microsim, assuming you're going to use an iPhone 4. They sell things online that'll cut it for you, but if you have scissors/a razor blade you can cut it yourself.

mustnotsleep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
That is the least of my worries. I do have an iPhone 4 and I have been through the SIM cutting process before. I am mainly curious if I can get 3G internet for $45/mo through the Tracfone process and how reliable it is.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
That is the least of my worries. I do have an iPhone 4 and I have been through the SIM cutting process before. I am mainly curious if I can get 3G internet for $45/mo through the Tracfone process and how reliable it is.

Do you know what band 3G tracfone uses? This, in theory, would be the only limiting factor.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If tracfone is piggybacking on t-mobile's service, it'll be edge data only. However, if it's piggybacking off at&t, you should be able to access 3G bands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.