How to Use Tracfone Service with Unlocked iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mustnotsleep, Jun 14, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I have been using T-mobile prepaid for a while now with an iPhone 4, but it only has minutes/texts with no mobile internet. I have read that buying an E71 from Walmart and switching sims would work for an iPhone, but I cannot find any specific details. Does this method still work? Is it 3G speed? What are the plan details exactly? $45/mo?

Basically, I just want a detailed description of what needs to be done before I spend $250 on the E71. Has anybody had any problems?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I haven't looked entirely into the specifics, but at the very minimum you're going to need to trim the sim card from the E71 into a microsim, assuming you're going to use an iPhone 4. They sell things online that'll cut it for you, but if you have scissors/a razor blade you can cut it yourself.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

That is the least of my worries. I do have an iPhone 4 and I have been through the SIM cutting process before. I am mainly curious if I can get 3G internet for $45/mo through the Tracfone process and how reliable it is.

4. macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Do you know what band 3G tracfone uses? This, in theory, would be the only limiting factor.

5. macrumors 68040

eastercat

If tracfone is piggybacking on t-mobile's service, it'll be edge data only. However, if it's piggybacking off at&t, you should be able to access 3G bands.