Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Thinking about getting an old Apple TV to stream movies over wifi N. For those who have done so, how's the speed? What I'm interested in is the "buffer" time. That is, when you click on a movie, how long does it take before the movie starts playing. Where I will be putting the Apple TV there is no ethernet, so wireless N is my only option other than putting the movie on the Apple TV itself.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
When it works, it works well. However know that many people including myself have major streaming issues with the old Apple TV. The hardware is just so outdated (and was the day it came out almost 4 years ago).

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
For me it takes about 3 seconds from the time I select play on an item to when it begins showing. 90% of the time it works without dropped frames but now and then it's choppy for the first minute or two. When I see this I hit pause for about 15 seconds (to let it get buffered) and then proceed and it almost always works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.