Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBG88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
I use a POS compaq laptop for things I can't do on my Mac. It was so filled with useless files and crap that windows leaves behind that I decided to erase and reinstall xp.

So I go to window update and install the sp1, have to do that before any of the other security updates. After that there is about 30 or so other security updates to be downloaded. Thought I was done.

After restart 2 more updates are required for download. Isn't it funny that when Apple updates it is usually an OS update or app update that we all look forward to, and when microlimp updates it is usually for security.

Can't wait for an iChat update.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
On my old PC, I had to deal with those damn updates all the time. I never looked forward to them.

On my mac, I look forward to updates, though, because they seem to actually be helpful.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by MacFan25
On my old PC, I had to deal with those damn updates all the time. I never looked forward to them.

On my mac, I look forward to updates, though, because they seem to actually be helpful.
exactly.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think we've only had 5 security updates for Mac OS X, one of which was for Internet Exploder.

It's nice to see that Apple is keeping things nice and tight and that the promise of open (and community) source keeps things in the public eye.

I just love when MS puts out security update after security update, sometimes, just to fix the hole the newest one made. It proves how clueless and careless their programmers truly are.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Apple's security updates are few and far between, usually these "security updates" are hardly really for just for security, but mainly patch one thing, while backpacking a load of BSD updates for mainstream opensource apps like apache, ssh, and others. So, usually it gives apple a reason to keep the underbelly of your mac healthy and up-to-date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.