Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
This isn't Mac related per se, but I don't know where else to go.

I freelance at small community arts center, and convinced the director to spring $50 for a Linksys Wireless G router. I hooked it up, wireless works fine, but now the director can't connect to the HP 2200n laser printer over her network.

I don't have a lot of other information to give, and I don't really know anything about this stuff (neither does anyone else here). She runs windows and I've tried using the printer thingy in control panel to find a new printer, but it can't find the printer. The printer icons that had been there already say they can't connect to the printer.

Somebody had labeled the printer with an IP address, but Windows still can't find it. I haven't even tried using my PowerBook to look through the network.

Any help, even if just pointing me in the right direction, would be appreciated.

arrggg

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
Hold down the GO and JOB CANCLE Buttons together... this will print a configreation page to help find what the IP of the printer is, and will tell you if the printer is attached to the network.

Once you have the IP Address, see if you can ping it.

(On Windows)
Go To START -> Run
type in: CMD
Press OK
this will Bring you to a command Prompt.
type: Ping IPADDRESS
(Where "IPADDRESS" in the IP of the printer.

This will let you know if you have a connection with the printer.
if you do, start the Printer Wizard
Select "Local Printer"
then select "Create a New port" and "Standard TCPIP port"
the wizard should guide you through the rest.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Thanks for the response.

I've tried printing the configuration page (as per the manual's instructions), but only one page comes out (the manual says two pages should come out, the second of which contains the networking info).

Tried pinging with the IP that was stickied on the printer and got 4 "Request timed out." responses. Statistics say sent=4, received=0, lost=4.

Sounds like the printer isn't where the stick-it note says it is. And damn 'cause the configuration page isn't telling me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.