Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Anyone know how this is supposed to be understood? OS X is open source as well, if we're just talking about "the underlying code" ?! Or am I misunderstanding the sentence? Is all of webOS going to be open source?

I certainly would read it that way. In Mac OS X, only the core OS is Open Source - the entire GUI level is as proprietary as it gets.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So HP is going to have to get the updates up and running in a timely matter. The OEMS make money taking babay steps. They will make a device for a certain version of webos then make it damn hard to upgrade to the new versions unless you buy the new hardware.
Here we go again. There will be jail broken webos phones undercutting the business model of theb OEMS etc etc.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
fantastic! The dream of open source OS is finally a reality and going nowhere now with HP and google are in it.. Apple and Microsoft can sue all they want. Hope HP does some backing thou, If they just dump it and walk away will be a fail... Hey amazon, app store?

hopefully this will become a race between android and webOS leaving the trash that is iOS ( aka, the dumbing down of apple ) for the little kids

Spoken like a true Fanboy.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

One update to he iPad and it could rule webos. I keep hearing all this noise about webos as if it's god. Please I heard the latest Ben Stiller/ Eddie Murphy movie Tower Heist was awesome and it wasn't. It was another flop. If webos was such an effing game changer it would have taken off like a rocket.
My prediction is that by next fall we'll see iPad gestures. If that happens webos and its so called swipe to throw away feature won't be a damn footnote.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Face it. Everybody is happy because this will probably hurt Google.

Am I right ? ;)

It won't.

Probably may even help Google since they'll get more code to "borrow" from like they did with Linux, Apple's Webkit, Sun's Java, etc. This is of course depending on the license HP chooses to use.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
Unlikey. I do not see HP being the driving force behind the growth of it. If anything I could see Android project sucking up most of it and bring it under their ship.

if HP just dumps it... yep, that is what will happen.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Interesting. This could be really great for T-mobile! But it does seem like a good idea overall. Having three (...or four...) mobile OSs is going to be a lot better than having the virtual monopoly situation from the desktop days.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Agree, also just look at Symbian which was open source too, and it slowly died and disappeared.

Symbian has not disappeared yet. Actually Nokia promises OS support until 2016. There are a major upgrade being launched (Symbian Belle) and together with other Symbian dialects used in cheaper Nokia phones (Symbian S40 and S60), it's the main Nokia's OS. MeeGo is just a try, like a "let's see what happens".

Also, after a year from Nokia has declared that they would offer Windows smartphones, became clear that WP7 phones will be sold just as an alternative to Symbian and MeeGo ones. Symbian's popularity is a concern in USA but not in Europe, emergents and BRIC, so most Nokia phones sold in US will come with WP7 installed.

If I would be a Nokia shareholder, I would support this approach. In the phone market, Windows is not too much a "commoditizing" OS like Android and it can live well side by side with Symbian. Developers also can port apps developed in Qt between both platforms and Nokia can sell apps like "Nokia Maps" to non-Nokia hardware owners. It's a win-win to Microsoft and Nokia and Nokia can protect its brand by not being another Android commodity-phone manufacturer.

Luigi

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2002
Waltham MA
HP WebOS - has some "BeOS" in it?

Do I remember correctly....Didn't Palm Buy BeOS?

And didn't some of the Palm OS have some BeOS mixed in it??

Any BeOS mixed in HP WebOS???

Just curious.....

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Interesting. This could be really great for T-mobile! But it does seem like a good idea overall. Having three (...or four...) mobile OSs is going to be a lot better than having the virtual monopoly situation from the desktop days.

It always tends to stabilise on one or two at most. The desktop days also started with dozens of OSs remember?

Plus we already had >4 mobile OSs, this doesn't change that, however this one failed to capture the market that's why it's now open source.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Ok, I know I'm going to get shot down for this but I really dont care.

webOS could be a TRUE iOS competitor. It doesn't violate a single patent, it is completely unique (I.E cant be accused of stealing iOS features) and is very nice to develop on.

I myself started porting apps to it, but stopped when the Touchpad was discontinued, however will most certainly be jumping back on the bandwagon.

Really excited to see what this will do - its great to see something fresh and hopefully it'll cause Apple and Google to up their game!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Never has there been a better chance for *everyone else* to take their turn and **** up WebOS.

What a disaster.

WebOS is now only good for one thing: parts.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
It always tends to stabilise on one or two at most. The desktop days also started with dozens of OSs remember?

Plus we already had >4 mobile OSs, this doesn't change that, however this one failed to capture the market that's why it's now open source.

Yeah. good point. Maybe it will still be better though... Maybe? Maybe it will wind up 1 or 2 OSs per carrier, which wouldn't be the best, but it'd be better than just 1 or 2 period. Oh well, I'm an optimist.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whats in it for HP?? They wont be pushing adverts will they???

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
webOS could be a TRUE iOS competitor.

Not anymore. "Open" does not = "true competitor" to a successful, closed, controlled vertically-integrated platform.

It's basically a piñata now. Everyone will try to break it open and grab whatever falls out.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
Agree, also just look at Symbian which was open source too, and it slowly died and disappeared.

well it did not just die... a better choice came and took its place - there was a window where Symbian had to compete and just could not.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
webOS could be a TRUE iOS competitor. It doesn't violate a single patent, it is completely unique (I.E cant be accused of stealing iOS features) and is very nice to develop on.

Well but webOS itself is protected by apparently over 2000 patents:

http://scobleizer.com/2011/08/21/hps-2000-webos-patents-and-how-they-could-reshape-everything/

Let's wait and see which open source license HP chooses for this, but I would be very surprised if they just give away all those patents...

They might just say, here's all the code - BUT if you want to make a phone from it you'll need to get in touch and license our patents.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
the openness of Android with the polish of iOS. the best of both worlds!

----------

Not anymore. "Open" does not = "true competitor" to a successful, closed, controlled vertically-integrated platform.

It's basically a piñata now. Everyone will try to break it open and grab whatever falls out.

Android is open. Lol.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I honestly don't think this will make WebOS better. Consumers didn't chose it when Palm made devices with it, nor did they when HP did. Why would anyone want this now? Open-source projects rarely turn out to good for the user. Maintaing an OS via open-source is a huge task, just ask the Ubuntu team - which have had a difficult time for decades to break into consumers mindsets.

In webOS's defense:

• HP was being run by someone who wanted to kill the company, and hated the idea of tablets and webOS
  • webOS had a huge transition to HP from Palm and lost a large number of key staff right before the touchpad release
  • The hardware just simply wasnt there
  • Consumers didnt want it when Palm had it as it was a mobile phone OS, not a tablet OS. Manufacturers are getting fed up with Android for a number of reasons, this could mean we'll see some big players jump into webOS

The options were simple: Let it die a fast death with it being closed source, or open it up in the hope that others would help make it take off. As others have pointed out, webOS in itself is way nicer than Android, and on a par if not better than iOS. All its missing is the developers and hardware, something which should be resolved by making it more open.

Thats the general idea from what way I see it.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
fantastic! The dream of open source OS is finally a reality and going nowhere now with HP and google are in it.. Apple and Microsoft can sue all they want. Hope HP does some backing thou, If they just dump it and walk away will be a fail... Hey amazon, app store?

hopefully this will become a race between android and webOS leaving the trash that is iOS ( aka, the dumbing down of apple ) for the little kids

What happened? Engadget/BGR, and Gizmodo banned you?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I certainly would read it that way. In Mac OS X, only the core OS is Open Source - the entire GUI level is as proprietary as it gets.

Yeah, I understand it as the full OS too. webOS is linux derivative, and people have to remember that google even chooses to keep parts of Android proprietary. So a partial disclosure may not be as bad as some would believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.