Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
its just a cable

It shouldnt matter what platform you are using... it should work. I have used similar serial to USB connectors with Solaris and Linux (not with a Mac personaly.. but its the same thing)

idkew

macrumors 68020
if you are looking for a usb -> serial adapter, keyspan makes one. i have it. i bought it on eBay for $20. works great, even through virutal pc. it is called a usb pda adapter. they also have a better one, but it costs more, and is faster.

jamka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
alright. the reason i ask is becuase i recently (today) bought a palm m105 from my friend. i didn't realize until i had bought it that he has a pc and gave me a serial dock thing. i am sort of trying to hook it up to my 7100/80 via an old serial to scsi adaptor that i found. that didn't work so i jacked on a scsi to thing-that-looks-like-adb-but-isn't geo port or whatever. the modem port. that isn't really working either, but at least it'l start up w/ that hooked up; opposed to the straight scsi which forbid my comp to boot up. ANYWAY.

that was a long unnesscesary story. now for some questions: would an adaptor be cheaper than a usb hot link dock or whatever it's called? also, once you have it all hooked up, how do you make it work it up? do you just press that button? i did and it said that it wasn't working. what happens if it does work? can you just drag and drop stuff onto the palm? any suggestions?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
palm makes one

palm makes a USB to serial Sync kit... I think its called a "MacKit" It comes with the converter. I think they make docs that are USB now too... I dont know why anyone uses Serial Ports for stuff like that. Serial Ports on Servers and managed switchs is fine.. but for consumer products? Why bother

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.