Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
maxresdefault.jpg

With more modular options added:

HP-Slice-1.jpg

And the back:
big_img2_tcm245_2315078_tcm245_2313337_tcm245-2315078.jpg

Specs:
Up to sixth-generation Intel Core i7
Up to 32GB of RAM
Two USB 3.1 Type-C
Two USB 2.0
DisplayPort and HDMI
Ethernet
Headphone/microphone jacks
Optional fingerprint sensor for authentication

Modular options:
Optical drive module
Speaker/mic/speakerphone module
Collaboration Cover (Skype conferencing)
Wireless Phone Charging Cover
VESA plate for industry standard mounting options

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/elite-slice/overview.html

----------------------------

Frankly, it's gorgeous. A lot of companies have made small powerful computers that blow away the Mac Mini from a "specs" perspective but this is the first time I've seen one that also looks better than a Mac Mini.

Last edited:

Tim0

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Russia
Very nice concept. It's good, and somewhat saddening at the same time, to see someone filling a niche that Apple doesn't seem to care about anymore. And yet... it took PC industry over 11 years to catch up (initially I meant to say six, but the thing will still have external power brick, so 2005 it is). Should it perform as good (and as quiet?) as it looks, I just might have to go back to Windows one of these days. Thank you, Apple, it was good while it lasted :(

Reactions: Ghost31

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
This is it. The end of the mini. About time. Been too long with zero updates. Nicely done HP. Almost wish I had no just got my Dell SFF tower. Yes, it absolutely positively needs to be QUIET.

Last edited:
Reactions: ActionableMango

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Sure, it looks pretty, and has specs that some here desire, but it is OS X / MacOS that makes a Mac. No thanks, not for me.

I get that. But bottom line, I switched back to Windows because the interface/UI for MacOS is so dated. Apple added features and more features that I never cared about, but did not keep up with a modern UI/UX. Winner, Windows 10.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
I see starting at $1235. Am I misunderstanding something?

It's a beautiful looking machine and it fills a niche that apple is severely neglecting... but for $1235? No thank you.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Sure, it looks pretty, and has specs that some here desire, but it is OS X / MacOS that makes a Mac.

I agree totally... And yet, the hardware that Apple now provides for OS X is so limited, I'm running out of ways to actually use OS X in daily situations.

If I'm already forced to use a different operating system for my dev boxes, and a different OS for my gaming box, why should I continue using OS X on other machines? I like OS X because it combines the power of Unix with an Apple-quality user interface; but I see little point in constantly switching between GUIs when I don't have to.

Windows and Linux can now run on every machine I have. OS X cannot, and given Apple's desktop designs, probably never will again. I wish things were different...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
An excellent, elegant "little box" that looks like it has a good deal of power, to boot.

Why won't Apple put out something like this?
What have they got to lose?
Just strike a deal with HP, make the case white or aluminum colored and put an Apple logo there to replace the HP.
Customize the Mac OS to it, and .... ready to roll.

The only reason that keeps me from "switching" from Apple to something like this is that the Mac OS is "all I've ever known" (aside from ProDOS in the late '80's). I'm a complete stranger to Windows, and -- nearing 70 -- don't wish to "start over".

Like some others here, I've regrettably come to the conclusion that Apple is determined to pare down the Mac lineup to next-to-nothing in the years to come.
I hope to be proven wrong, but that's how I see it...

Last edited:
Reactions: OLDCODGER

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
The only reason that keeps me from "switching" from Apple to something like this is that the Mac OS is "all I've ever known" (aside from ProDOS in the late '80's). I'm a complete stranger to Windows, and -- nearing 70 -- don't wish to "start over".

Actually, why not give it a try -- you can use something like Boot Camp or Parallels to test out Windows or Linux without having to give up OS X or buy another computer. It could be fun, while allowing you to become accustomed to the other OS at your own pace.

Given that Apple seems to be reducing its interest in Macs, I think it's probably a good idea to prepare to jump ship if things continue to go downhill.

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Its 899 for the normal one which can't be configured and 1235$ for the ultra slim which can also be configured. From what i can see, they come with full fledged desktop i5/i7(quad core) cpu-s and not mobile cpu's like mac mini. Also 256gb SSD is standard so the price is pretty decent considering what you get for a mac mini at this moment.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/deskt...mm/elite-slice/desktop-tab/learnmore-desktop#!

Reactions: Cape Dave

Tim0

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Russia
Its 899 for the normal one which can't be configured and 1235$ for the ultra slim which can also be configured.

Can someone point out the difference between "normal" and "ultra slim"? They look exactly the same, the weight is the same, according to specs - yet there is a $336 difference in price for what seems to be exactly the same specs - except for "ENERGY STAR Qualified Configuration" and " HP Elite Slice USFF G1 Chassis" (???).

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I think that "buy" page isn't ready and was accidentally revealed or something. There is supposed to be an i3 for $699, the "add to cart buttons" and prices don't appear for me in Chrome (they do in Firefox), the information, modules, and options seem very incomplete, and I don't think this was supposed to have even been released yet anyway.

Last edited:

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
Guys, enjoy this thread about HP hardware while you can.

I posted a different thread about small form factor machines which the MacRumoprs minders moved to a forum called something like "alternative operating systems". After that, I am convinced that Apple runs this rumors site.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpietrzak8

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
When the rumors were for a new design Pro... I was thinking they would do that - a mini Pro stackable. Interconnected dock style , not through the back...

Reactions: jpietrzak8

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I posted a different thread about small form factor machines which the MacRumoprs minders moved to a forum called something like "alternative operating systems". After that, I am convinced that Apple runs this rumors site.

Well, y'know, it's kinda funny, but in general after someone puts in all the work to sub-divide their forum board into dozens of different categories, they do tend to want to move posts into the categories that they've created. ;)

I do think there are far, far too many categories on this site now, but I can see the reasons why they might want to try and break the conversations down into more manageable chunks. But yeah, I think this particular thread should stay here as a "Why the heck doesn't Apple's Mini look like this?" discussion. :)

Nospig

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
Guys, enjoy this thread about HP hardware while you can.

Mods never come here as the Mini is dead :(

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I have to shake my head about Apple and their computer division. The no improvement to OS X and the continuing decline of improved general hardware improvements with the rise on VR, AR, etc and not just a gaming experience but a truly training and design tool.

If Jobs was still alive and in charge does anyone have a doubt Steve would have left his computer and OS neglected to the point of meh? Don't you think he would have been on the bandwagon and a visionary for the new tech?

And it's not so much about VR as it is the general state of Apple computer.

I know that this has nothing to do with HP Mini but it a beautiful design and Steve would have liked it. IMHO

and hurricanes suck :eek:

That's my rant for the day.:D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.