Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So I admit off the bat, I'm an Apple fan. Not a fanboy, but a fan indeed.

In terms of phones, I've owned the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and currently I use an iPhone 5. I upgrade immediately, like a good Apple soldier should.

My neighbor yesterday asked me which phone he should buy. He has been using an iPhone 4 up till this point, and he told me he wants a larger screen, - larger than even the iPhone 5.

Given that the Galaxy S4 is not available yet, I recommended the HTC One, since by all accounts it's the best Android device actually out there in the wild.

He complied, and brought home the One today. I got to play with it tonight, and here are my thoughts...

1.) This is the very first Android device that truly rivals Apple in terms of design. While the back is just a tad busy for an Apple device, the build quality is absolutely fantastic. This is without doubt, the best-designed Android phone on the market.

2.) The screen is absolutely stunning. Yes, it's even more stunning than the iPhone 5 display. I opened up the New York Times full site, and text was even MORE readable on this display, even aside from the size difference between the two. I know people talk about Retina this and Retina that. Fact is, for me at least, I still want a sharper display, and when you put the HTC One next to the iPhone 5, what I've wanted in terms of PPI is right there, easily visible. It's truly stunning, and being NOT an AMOLED screen, it comes without all the deficiencies inherent in that tech (blue whites, lack of white brightness, over-saturated colors etc). The HTC One has 469 ppi, vs 326 ppi on the iPhone 4/4S/5. The difference, to me, is as obvious as a smack in the face. I love it. As far as I'm concerned, the HTC One has the true Retina display.

3.) The speakers raise the bar for what a phone can do. No more channeling sound to the front by cupping your hand around the bottom of the phone when watching movies/YouTube etc. The HTC One has the best speakers I've ever heard on a phone. Two speakers, front facing = game changer for the phone multimedia space.

4.) The ui responsiveness has vastly improved on these devices compared to the previous generation. I've had extensive playtime with my other neighbor's Galaxy Nexus, and the HTC One absolutely destroys the Galaxy Nexus in terms of response. Scrolling up and down web-pages is as close to Apple-like as it gets now, with almost imperceptible lag when doing so. Rotating the screen takes just milliseconds now. Everything is just so smooth.

Just a few cons from my time with the One:

5.) Apps-wise, no comparison. The iPhone has the HTC, and any Android device - soundly beaten.

6.) The One's power button is over on the top left vs top right on the iPhone 5. I grab my phone out of my left pocket with my left hand, so the power-button location is easily hit on the top right. iPhone wins that one.

So what's an Apple lover to do?

I'm torn. So, so torn. I absolutely love the HTC One. I really do. I'm also heavily invested in the Apple world, with numerous Macs, Apple accessories etc littered about my house and office.

But... my oh my is the HTC One a game-changer on the Android front. There is absolutely something to be said for the premium feel the One offers that the Galaxy S4 simply will never do (based on my plastic-y experience when toying with the S3).

Anyway, for those with no tether to Apple or Google, I highly, HIGHLY recommend spending some time with the HTC One. It's quite possibly the best phone on the market right now.

For the first time ever since handling many, many Android phones: Apple - the ball's in your court.

(Picture taken with my iPhone 5, of course!)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 1,015
Last edited:

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
The new htc one is such a beauty. I wish that Apple would release a phone that would blow the competition out of the water like the iPhone 4 did. The iPhone 5 has a nice build quality but it's lacking features compared to other devices. I also feel that they really just played catch up with the iPhone 5. But now they're behind yet again. They need to release a 4.3" phone. I think that it's the best size and it should still be usable with one hand. And for the love of God, please Apple, please improve predictive typing.

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
One beast of a phone, don't think Apple will do much do challenge it in regards to hardware until 2014, when the bigger display iPhone hopefully comes along.

2013 would be a good time for Apple to get it together on the software front though.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
This is a great thread OP...

I'm what you would call a true blue tech geek that doesn't wave a flag for any one OS or manufacturer...I like what I like, and buy what I like! With that said...

I've owned every iphone to date, as well as just about every High end Android phone that at&t and Verizon has put out...as well as a slew of Blackberrys over the years, but that's a whole other story that would also include some Palm devices...lol

Anyway at the moment I'd have to say the One is basically Beautiful and the one to beat as far as looks go! That goes for everyone, Apple, Samsung, LG, etc! The phone is plain Sexy!

While I do really like it, I don't see it taking the place of either my iphone 5, or my nexus 4. And the reasoning is simple. For the iphone side of it I'm just too heavily invested in Apple products these days and basically love the Apple Eco system. And on the Android front, I don't care very much for Sense 5.0 or the lag that it will bring within 2 months of owning the phone. For me these days an Android phone running stock Vanilla Android is how I roll, no over lays, no bloat, no BS! Harsh but givin the amount of Android phones I've owned I'd have to say stock makes a big deal.

Either way I will whole heartily agree with the OP that the ONE as far as looks go is basically a game changer for Android phones, and I can only hope that HTC makes the next version of the nexus.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
Absolutely agree with this. If I didn't get an iPhone 5 in September and I had known this was coming, I would have waited. Sense 5 is definitely a lot lighter than the previous versions, but stock Android is still better.

As for battery, my dad has the One X and that seems to last him a day and a half with some moderate usage, so I expect something similar.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Agree with OP. I have an Ip5 and am invested in the Apple Eco System. I had the HTC One for 18 hours but just could not handle going back to Android. The HTC Hardware is impressive. If it could run IOS I would crawl over broken glass to have it. The question I have is this: How could Apple be so complacent that they let a competitor develop a phone like this, and not respond?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I agree the HTC One has changed the game. This is probably the first time since owning iPhones that I feel that I don't have the best designed device on the market. It's like what you expect the iPhone should be. Absolutely amazing device.

Apple as well as the other Android OEMs should be in the lab trying to figure out how to outdo this design.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Agree with OP. I have an Ip5 and am invested in the Apple Eco System. I had the HTC One for 18 hours but just could not handle going back to Android. The HTC Hardware is impressive. If it could run IOS I would crawl over broken glass to have it. The question I have is this: How could Apple be so complacent that they let a competitor develop a phone like this, and not respond?

I'm sure they're not sitting at apple hq going "ah well guys, we tried..time to pack it up!"

Richal

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
But the thing I really want to know is why HTC One is designed like iphone in terms of appearance?

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I would argue that the Xperia Z is a better design and also rivals the iPhone 5. I don't see how the HTC One bests it.

I had a good look at the HTC One tonight and while I bought my Xperia Z before seeing a HTC One I'm very happy with my decision.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I would argue that the Xperia Z is a better design and also rivals the iPhone 5. I don't see how the HTC One bests it.

I had a good look at the HTC One tonight and while I bought my Xperia Z before seeing a HTC One I'm very happy with my decision.

The xperia Z feels awful in the hand though it's too square.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

Blegh. I saw an Xperia Z in person (a friend got it) and the screen was so washed out. Felt like a cheap TN display like they use on cheap notebooks. Viewing angles were pretty bad and contrast was subpar.

The screen on the HTC One on the other hand... Simply gorgeous.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Blegh. I saw an Xperia Z in person (a friend got it) and the screen was so washed out. Felt like a cheap TN display like they use on cheap notebooks. Viewing angles were pretty bad and contrast was subpar.

The screen on the HTC One on the other hand... Simply gorgeous.

lol ok...you are way off base on most of your comments with the exception of the viewing angles, they aren't great but I tend to look at my phone straight on like a normal human being.

You are probably mistaking it for being washed out because of the stupid grey theme Sony used.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
6.) The One's power button is over on the top left vs top right on the iPhone 5. I grab my phone out of my left pocket with my left hand, so the power-button location is easily hit on the top right. iPhone wins that one.

I'm left handed and take my phone out of my left pocket with my left hand all the time. There hasn't been any noticeable differences between it and my iPhone 5 ?

Are you left or right handed ?

Is the button placement that strange for right handed people or something. I prefer the volume rocker on the right (htc one) compared to the left of the iphone too.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
And for the love of God, please Apple, please improve predictive typing.
Honestly, my biggest gripe with Android is the typing. I've been using my GS3 since last year so I'm completely used to it. But to this day I still make way more typing mistakes on Android. It's almost embarrassing really. To be fair, the native Android keyboard is best, but it seems like almost no Android phones other than Nexus devices provide that as an option.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Honestly, my biggest gripe with Android is the typing. I've been using my GS3 since last year so I'm completely used to it. But to this day I still make way more typing mistakes on Android. It's almost embarrassing really. To be fair, the native Android keyboard is best, but it seems like almost no Android phones other than Nexus devices provide that as an option.

Have you tried another keyboard such as Swype?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So I admit off the bat, I'm an Apple fan. Not a fanboy, but a fan indeed.

In terms of phones, I've owned the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and currently I use an iPhone 5. I upgrade immediately, like a good Apple soldier should.

My neighbor yesterday asked me which phone he should buy. He has been using an iPhone 4 up till this point, and he told me he wants a larger screen, - larger than even the iPhone 5.

Given that the Galaxy S4 is not available yet, I recommended the HTC One, since by all accounts it's the best Android device actually out there in the wild.

He complied, and brought home the One today. I got to play with it tonight, and here are my thoughts...

1.) This is the very first Android device that truly rivals Apple in terms of design. While the back is just a tad busy for an Apple device, the build quality is absolutely fantastic. This is without doubt, the best-designed Android phone on the market.

2.) The screen is absolutely stunning. Yes, it's even more stunning than the iPhone 5 display. I opened up the New York Times full site, and text was even MORE readable on this display, even aside from the size difference between the two. I know people talk about Retina this and Retina that. Fact is, for me at least, I still want a sharper display, and when you put the HTC One next to the iPhone 5, what I've wanted in terms of PPI is right there, easily visible. It's truly stunning, and being NOT an AMOLED screen, it comes without all the deficiencies inherent in that tech (blue whites, lack of white brightness, over-saturated colors etc). The HTC One has 469 ppi, vs 326 ppi on the iPhone 4/4S/5. The difference, to me, is as obvious as a smack in the face. I love it. As far as I'm concerned, the HTC One has the true Retina display.

3.) The speakers raise the bar for what a phone can do. No more channeling sound to the front by cupping your hand around the bottom of the phone when watching movies/YouTube etc. The HTC One has the best speakers I've ever heard on a phone. Two speakers, front facing = game changer for the phone multimedia space.

4.) The ui responsiveness has vastly improved on these devices compared to the previous generation. I've had extensive playtime with my other neighbor's Galaxy Nexus, and the HTC One absolutely destroys the Galaxy Nexus in terms of response. Scrolling up and down web-pages is as close to Apple-like as it gets now, with almost imperceptible lag when doing so. Rotating the screen takes just milliseconds now. Everything is just so smooth.

Just a few cons from my time with the One:

5.) Apps-wise, no comparison. The iPhone has the HTC, and any Android device - soundly beaten.

So what's an Apple lover to do?

I'm torn. So, so torn. I absolutely love the HTC One. I really do. I'm also heavily invested in the Apple world, with numerous Macs, Apple accessories etc littered about my house and office.

But... my oh my is the HTC One a game-changer on the Android front. There is absolutely something to be said for the premium feel the One offers that the Galaxy S4 simply will never do (based on my plastic-y experience when toying with the S3).

Anyway, for those with no tether to Apple or Google, I highly, HIGHLY recommend spending some time with the HTC One. It's quite possibly the best phone on the market right now.

For the first time ever since handling many, many Android phones: Apple - the ball's in your court.

(Picture taken with my iPhone 5, of course!)
Very nice honest write up! Thanks for taking the time to give us your honest opinion. I was in the same boat as you. I have owner every iPhone released. I have so many apple products in my house past and present....i can't list them. all. But i sold my IP5 on CL and went with the HTC One. So far it has been great and no regrets. But Android needs something like iTunes to tie everything together in one place with one piece of software that will work on all Android phones. It is a huge gap for their platform. But i won't be switching my rMBP or iPads, iMac anytime in foreseeable future!

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
I tried a buddy's HTC One the other night and I have to echo your sentiments. It is the first Android phone I have handled that made me give pause and consider switching back (started with the OG Droid). It's powerful, smooth to operate, beautiful to look at, solid to hold, big (but not silly, Note 2 big)...

If Verizon would actually carry the phone my 4S might find a home in my nightstand.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

Total opposite for me.

My time with the HTC One made me fall in love with the keyboard - going back to an iPhone 5 afterwards was incredibly frustrating.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
The HTC one will make the iPhone 5s and future iPhones that much better. This is a good thing.

The13thDoctor

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
@TheRoyalDoctor
lol ok...you are way off base on most of your comments with the exception of the viewing angles, they aren't great but I tend to look at my phone straight on like a normal human being.

You are probably mistaking it for being washed out because of the stupid grey theme Sony used.

Sorry dude...the Z may have a really high DPI display, but the colours are really really washed out...Compared to HTC One's display...man its like day and night.
Unless you live in Japan and happen to own one thats actually calibrated properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.