Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Can't apple just license the patent or buy the troll out? They have more money than god.

EDIT - just read the article and boy oh boy is that company asking for a lot of money!

Makaveliarts

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Lol I try to avoid using face time so as long as the front camera still has the same specs then IDC. I skipped the 5, so I've been wanting a better front facing camera for my iPhone for quite a long time.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
So the FaceTime quality was reduced?? I noticed it used to be clearer... That sucks :/

ap4lifetn

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010

----------

It'd be stupid to sue Apple over this. As I already said, this is not something that they wanted to do. Either they did this or shut down Facetime.

----------

The fact of the matter is they advertised a feature and took it away. The third option is, it is in their power to enable the feature again (either by paying VirnetX, buying them, etc) but they are not doing it. They choose not to support a feature that they advertised.

BXPhoto

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
Would using OOVOO or some other video chat program remedy this? At least to get better video quality?

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Apple was sued by patent troll and had to change how Facetime calls work/connect. They now have to use relay servers to connect two Facetime calls which is inferior to how they were connecting calls when Facetime was announced. ArsTechnica wrote an article explaining all of this, I'll link to it below.

Article link: Click here.

Thanks SR! I didn't expect to get such a detailed answer from what Arstechnica wrote. Wow, so there's been something big here which Apple and all parties involved have been trying to really keep a lid on.

Too bad that we can't properly use the power of the front facing camera thanks to the limited capacity of using relay servers.

Does anyone else know if other clients such as Skype, Oovoo etc use the same technical layout? I wonder if Hangouts would be the one to use right now performance-wise, given their implementation of VP8.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Wait...so if I have an iPhone 5 and my girlfriend has one does this affect us?

Or only the 5C and 5S?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.