Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthyme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2024
Hi Mac rumors community,

I am trying to choose a macbook pro for my use cases but it's not eazy.

My context :
I am a developper working with differents technologies (Python, Javascript, C#, R, ...) and I want to dive more into IA/Deep learning work.
I am also doing video editing with DaVinci Resolve (paid version) using 4k 10 bits rush from a Sony A7 IV and effects from the toko graphics pack.
I worked with Mac a few years ago (in the intel ERA) but actually I am more a "desktop user" with this config :
13700k (16 cores cpu), 32 go ram and a RTX 3070 (8 go GPU vram)
My experience on this config is not good.
When I use effects from toko on top of the rush, the playback is only about 10 fps, something like 30 fps would be really better.
The bottleneck is probably the GPU ram.
Another need : I want to be able to work anywhere, and not only in my home with my desktop.

With this context I consider that the perfect match for that is a Macbook pro with the new stellar m3 max.

But I really not sure about 2 points : the ram and the screen size.

I think I prefer the 14' size to be mobile but I am wondering if the video editing experience would be good. Does any video editors arround have feedbacks on working with a 14' macbook pro ?

After researchs I know that if I take the 14' is preferable to take the M3 max 14/30 in order to limit heat/loud noise because of the fan system of the 14'.
About the ram the unified memory seems to be awesome but I am affraid by the numbers.
Apparently 36gb of ram could be enough for video editing but it's less than my 32 go ram + 8 go vram that is not satisfactory.
Playback can take a lot of memory (probably 16 ? 24 ? I don't know).
About that need do you think I need to go to 96gb or the 36gb should be ok ?
The memory is really expensive on these macbooks...

About the deep learning, if there is an IA expert arround here, how many ram do you think I need ? I really don't know if going after 36 gb would be a little comfort or waste or crucial.

Thank you by advance people.

Regards,

Anthyme

Note : I am not a native english speaker sorry if I don't express correctly.

EllaWilson3

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
Considering video editing and deep learning, the M3 Max 14/30 does look a very viable option, particularly for the portability factor. Considering both the RAM and the size of the screen, if 36GB is just okay for your video editing, then you may have to go for 96GB, considering that your tasks are intensive; this would give a lot more headroom. This will highly depend on your deep learning models. Smaller projects will, therefore, be well with 36GB of RAM, but more significant ones will have to increase their capacities. Delve into examples of artificial intelligence design, which might throw light on your specific needs.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Created an account here just to follow this. Was looking at the base M3 Max for similar usage - working with AI models (Image recognition, generation, etc) as well as 4K HDR video editing in Resolve. This would also replace my 2020 iPP w/ Magic Keyboard, which I have been using since launch as my daily driver "laptop" for web browsing, content consumption, etc.

I'm currently doing this at home on my desktop (R7 5800X, 32GB DDR4, RTX 3080 10GB) and it's fine for video editing and AI inference, but training is impractical due to my video memory situation.

I know I can spend the same on a pair of 3090s and NVLink them, but then I'm buying a new motherboard, power supply, case, not to mention the heat or noise. I know I could rent a GPU in the cloud, but I like to do my work on my own hardware.

Base M3 Max looks very promising. I'm hoping someone that has at least toyed with generative AI can chime in with their experience. Otherwise, I might have to buy one to test drive and see how it performs before the return period expires.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.