Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
My iPod is showing major problems. My metal back is coming really loose, but I can't pull it apart to reglue it. Whenever I shake it a little bit, it rattles a ton. And the power went off and on about five times really fast during a storm. So now my stupid battery only lasts 1.5 hours. Apple says that I should have had a battery backup for all my important devices, and about the case, they think I opened it and messed it up. I am really pissed.:mad:
can anyone help me:confused: :confused: :confused:

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Re: Huh?

Originally posted by MacAztec (formerly Mac_User)
How long have you had your iPod? I believe Apple has a one year warranty on them, so I think you should check that out.

as far as i know the warranty is only 90 days

i had to have mine replaced and the site online only said 90 days

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by me hate windows
i have had it for almost 2 months

2 months == 60 days. You should be able to exchange it.

I'm not sure why the back would spontaneously come off, though. I have in fact violated my iPod's warranty (the battery connector had come loose, making the iPod suddenly quite dead), and it took a LOT of work to wiggle the back off it. It isn't glued on to start with. There are little springy pressure clamps inside that hold the back on.

If the back is loose and something is rattling (and assuming it still plays at all, so the rattling isn't the hard drive), the rattling is most likely the battery rattling around the back of the case. If the battery is unseated, it will probably be offset so as to keep you from squeezing the case back together properly. The only solution would be to get the back the rest of the way off (yes it's difficult, but you just have to work at it), make sure everything is stacked neatly (and make sure the power lead for the battery is properly connected to the logic board). Then try to carefully squeeze the case back together, without disturbing the battery You should be able to get it completely closed. DO NOT GLUE IT.

Oh, and only do this if you are sufficiently mechanically inclined (as they used to call it) to take things apart and fix them yourself in general, and if you're willing to accept the consequences if you screw something up. I take no responsibility if something bad happens to you.

And yeah, if you had your iPod plugged into an unprotected wall socket, and a power surge went through it, then that is in no way Apple's responsibility.
Evil Gelfin says:
If you're going to try to get something exchanged like that, provide as little information as possible. Don't say, "golly, there was this lightning storm and now my iPod doesn't work." Say, "my iPod is only two months old, and it's suddenly only getting 1.5 hours battery life." They may ask you a few questions to narrow it down. If they're anywhere near the truth, plead ignorance. "Not that I am aware of," is a useful phrase.

You probably shouldn't listen to Evil Gelfin. He is, after all, evil.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
90 days only?

:( I'm very surprised the warranty is only 90 days....

makes u wonder just how much confidence they have in their product if they have to short the warrany period...

sorry if u feel the need to flame me for that comment.....but it is kinda ****ty...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Evil Gelfin sounds right on the money! My iPod was under two weeks old and already a piece of the minijack had broken off (due to a very stupidly designed weak point!) so I called up the Apple Store and they said it wasn't covered under warranty and I'd have to pay $255 (!!!) for repair. I said "yeah right, bye", drove down the street to my Apple Reseller, showed them what the deal was, they sent it in, and I had a new iPod within a week. :) Did I tell them what the Apple Store said? What do you think. ;)

I've found Apple is quite stingy when it comes to fixing something that you paid them beaucoup bucks for.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Hey, as far as I know 90 day for refurbish equipment. May be you are talking about 90 day part and labor and after that only parts.

If the person that sold it to you gets bitchy, go to other one and make up some history.

I'm sure that problem is not your only and some one in the tech support should know about it (use some common sense), 300.000 iBooks out there. May be was aproblem in the assembly line.

Go for it!!!

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
Your Pissed, Check this out

I thought I would get rid of my ibook 600, and get a desktop, since Im in College and basically broke, I figured I would look at ebay. I've had good luck in the past, so I win a bid for a 733 with 17" flat panel, and iPod, with a AP card. I win it for 1800 shipping included. (I sold my ibook on ebay for 1300) So the seller wants me to send him payment in full via western union, well I say Ill send 1300 and the rest COD. He says ok, and I have sent the 1300, and my ibook off, and guess what: NO 733! i HAVE NO RECEIVED ANOTHER EMAIL FROM THIS ASS, AND WHEN I CONTACTED EBAY, THE INFO THEY HAD WAS FROM A GUY IN NH, not Singapore, yes Singapore. Well, I contacted ebay and they insure up to 200, so hopefully Im get a new computer in the mail, or maybe an email or 200 from ebay. The worst is this prick left my positive feedback, for paying promptly. Looks like Im a big sucker. Well, I needed to vent, no I am Mac-less and I think Im getting depressed :)

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
Re: Your Pissed, Check this out

Originally posted by ryme4reson
I thought I would get rid of my ibook 600, and get a desktop, since Im in College and basically broke, I figured I would look at ebay. I've had good luck in the past, so I win a bid for a 733 with 17" flat panel, and iPod, with a AP card. I win it for 1800 shipping included. (I sold my ibook on ebay for 1300) So the seller wants me to send him payment in full via western union, well I say Ill send 1300 and the rest COD. He says ok, and I have sent the 1300, and my ibook off, and guess what: NO 733! i HAVE NO RECEIVED ANOTHER EMAIL FROM THIS ASS, AND WHEN I CONTACTED EBAY, THE INFO THEY HAD WAS FROM A GUY IN NH, not Singapore, yes Singapore. Well, I contacted ebay and they insure up to 200, so hopefully Im get a new computer in the mail, or maybe an email or 200 from ebay. The worst is this prick left my positive feedback, for paying promptly. Looks like Im a big sucker. Well, I needed to vent, no I am Mac-less and I think Im getting depressed :)
You do have it a lot worse than me, at least mine still sort of works. Thanks for all the help guys(and gals). I will see what I can do. I will talk to CompUSA and MadMac(my local reseller). I hope that there is something that I can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.