Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haragan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
I am sorry and i hope i ma not pposting a question already answered. I recently received a Macbook Pro. I love it. but i am new to apple. i use an apple machine like 6 years ago and only to surf the internet. now i have this macbook por and I am trying to get comfortable with it.
my problem:
i have try to install some applications like firefox, bootcamp, rhapsody. i just got my apple yesterday. my problem is that i install the apps and when i reboot they disappear. like firefox was in the dock thingy and the it was gone when i booted my macbook. the same with rhapsody.
My question: how do i install programs so that they stay in the macbook after every reboot? i am sure that people are not reinstalling their programs every day.
again, i am sorry if i am asking the obvious but i am new.
thank you for your time reading this,

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Are you dragging these applications off of the mounted DMG?

If not. Download firefox again. Mount the DMG file that downloads.

A new finder window should show up with firefox in it.

You will have to drag the firefox file to your applications folder (or where you want it) for it to stay on your HD

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
haragan said:
I am sorry and i hope i ma not pposting a question already answered. I recently received a Macbook Pro. I love it. but i am new to apple. i use an apple machine like 6 years ago and only to surf the internet. now i have this macbook por and I am trying to get comfortable with it.
my problem:
i have try to install some applications like firefox, bootcamp, rhapsody. i just got my apple yesterday. my problem is that i install the apps and when i reboot they disappear. like firefox was in the dock thingy and the it was gone when i booted my macbook. the same with rhapsody.
My question: how do i install programs so that they stay in the macbook after every reboot? i am sure that people are not reinstalling their programs every day.

Most likely you are lauching the app from the disc image. That hard drive enclosure that pops up after you run the dmg file that is. To fix that, drag the app from that icon to you own applications folder. That will keep it there. Hope that helps

haragan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
wow! thank for the prompt reply!

thank you, I am going to try this solution and i will let you know. I am still finding my way around. I am excited and looking forward to leaving windows behind in the future.
thanks, i will post more likely tomorrow morning. bed time now.
Thanks again for the prompt reply!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes... if you double-click the DMG file to mount it, you'll see (in the case of Firefox) something like this:

FirefoxDMGExample.png

Click the little white 'pill' in the upper right to show your sidebar. Your Applications folder should be in there. Just drag the application into that folder, and you're set.

FirefoxDMGExampleSidebar.png

haragan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Thank you for the help what you guys suggested worked. thanks for the help. now on to do some playing around and some reading. some of this is so different,and a bit frustrating but i guess that is because i am not familiar with this os.
thanks again for your help

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
haragan said:
Thank you for the help what you guys suggested worked. thanks for the help. now on to do some playing around and some reading. some of this is so different,and a bit frustrating but i guess that is because i am not familiar with this os.

Don't worry haragan, the more you use Mac OS, the easier it will become for you. In short order, you will be wondering why anyone would ever want to use a Windoze machine instead of an easy to use Macintosh. :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
haragan said:
my problem:

One thing to remember: The Dock shows all open programs, plus all the programs that you want to keep in the dock. You might have hundred programs on your Macintosh that you don't want all the time; they will not clutter up the dock.

To keep a running application in the dock, right-click on the icon in the dock, then choose "Keep in Dock" from the menu. Applications that are already kept in the dock have an item "Remove from Dock" instead.

You can also put folders into the dock. Many people put their application folder in the dock. If you do that and click on the application folder item and hold it for a bit, a menu comes up with everything in your application folder. Or say you have a folder with ten documents that you work with all the time; drag the folder into the dock and you can use a menu with those ten documents.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
haragan said:

You will probably find that a lots of things are easier than on Windows once you get a better feel of it. I was often confused because the way to do things was often so obvious/easy, I was assuming that wasn't the right way. "That's too easy, that can't be how it works..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.