Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I agree 100% Some people have trouble seeing things or take longer but I am willing to bet it is the same for all the 4s.

Oh well looks like the 5 and new mini will drop in march according to the front page.

Replicated on my iPad 4. Swapped with apple and replicated on the new one as well. Also replicated on every iPad 4 I can get my hands on.

Seriously, if you can't see it, you aren't doing it right. It took me a while to figure out how to replicated it every time. If any of you are from the Bay Area, I challenge you to meet me somewhere and bring your iPad 4. I bet I can replicate it on your device, too.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
I use my ipad pretty much exclusively for surfing and watching YouTube and I have yet to come across a video or movie that has this contrast pumping during
Playback.Maybe I will see it one day but I doubt it cos I have already watched dozens if not hundreds of video clips.

Its not something I am not noticing either because I have been looking for it with an eagle eye since discovering this thread.

I think the issue is real but not every unit suffers the same severity.If it happens during playback I would bring it back because that is not acceptable.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Same for me but last night I finally was able to replicate it using the links on here. No one that has this issue has been able to get a replacement or even see one that doesn't have it from what I understand.

I use my ipad pretty much exclusively for surfing and watching YouTube and I have yet to come across a video or movie that has this contrast pumping during
Playback.Maybe I will see it one day but I doubt it cos I have already watched dozens if not hundreds of video clips.

Its not something I am not noticing either because I have been looking for it with an eagle eye since discovering this thread.

I think the issue is real but not every unit suffers the same severity.If it happens during playback I would bring it back because that is not acceptable.

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Think I've seen this on my iPad 3. Weirdly, I've seen it on my Mac Mini too - maybe a flaw in the video playback libraries?

mumu

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
My new 4th gen iPad has the issue described in this thread. Therefore I went to complain at a local Apple Store. Just seconds into replicating the weird gamma-shift in fullscreen-playback, the "Genius" seemed to acknowledge the problem. "It's a hardware issue", he said and he gave me a replacement. I checked the replacement - but same issue there. A few minutes later I got my replacement replaced with another replacement-device. And (of course) same issue again. They ran out of iPad replacement devices by then and told me I should come again in a few days to pick up a 3rd replacement. The "Genius' " explanation for the reoccurring issue on all tested devices was, that they may had a 'faulty pile' of replacement-iPads in stock at the store and that there should be 'newer ones' that have the issue fixed. I asked the "Genius" repeatedly if he really knows the issue is a hardware-problem. He seemed to be sure.
I'm fairly pessimistic about the outcome of this story - but I'll keep you updated.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I agree 100% Some people have trouble seeing things or take longer but I am willing to bet it is the same for all the 4s.

Oh well looks like the 5 and new mini will drop in march according to the front page.

You realise that report was faked. Many anylasts have already said that it was made by wsj because they were bribed to lower the price for people who short the stock. 65 million iPhones would never have been ordered by apple for 1 quarter and its not allowed for a supplier to reveal production cuts if it affects another companies performance. Furthermore sharp and other LCD manufacturers would have come out and lowered their quarterly guidance due to the 50% decrease of i5 screens. Also how legit does this sound one week before earnings: "people familiar with the situation".

Stock manipulation at its finest :)

novono

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
My new 4th gen iPad has the issue described in this thread. Therefore I went to complain at a local Apple Store. Just seconds into replicating the weird gamma-shift in fullscreen-playback, the "Genius" seemed to acknowledge the problem. "It's a hardware issue", he said and he gave me a replacement. I checked the replacement - but same issue there. A few minutes later I got my replacement replaced with another replacement-device. And (of course) same issue again. They ran out of iPad replacement devices by then and told me I should come again in a few days to pick up a 3rd replacement. The "Genius' " explanation for the reoccurring issue on all tested devices was, that they may had a 'faulty pile' of replacement-iPads in stock at the store and that there should be 'newer ones' that have the issue fixed. I asked the "Genius" repeatedly if he really knows the issue is a hardware-problem. He seemed to be sure.
I'm fairly pessimistic about the outcome of this story - but I'll keep you updated.

So they replaced your iPad twice and told you to come back for a 3rd replacement unit once they have more stock? Do you know if the replacement iPads were new or reconditioned? Please keep us posted. I may consider taking a trip to my Apple store depending on what comes out of your ordeal... It's frustrating we can't get a definitive answer on what causes the issue. It seems that "Genius" was just trying to provide good customer service and keep you optimistic about finding a replacement that does not have the flaw.

Last edited:

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
You realise that report was faked... Stock manipulation at its finest :)

I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I've seen some VERY minor display issues, but not to the extent described herein. Is this a real issue or not???? Would Apple use the same suppliers if the returns wer mounting as suggested?

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I've seen some VERY minor display issues, but not to the extent described herein. Is this a real issue or not???? Would Apple use the same suppliers if the returns wer mounting as suggested?

I think the issue is real but the severity varies from batch to batch.So far I can only replicate the issue on two videos exampled on this thread and only if I do it in a certain order.Pause,full screen and then hide the controller.There is no contrast pumping up and down during playback.I have watched countless movie trailers that feature dark scenes and they all play back perfectly.

Some units may have the problem severe enough that it happens during playback in which case it needs to be returned.

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
Since the other clips I've posted were only of the video enhancement making the contrast/saturation look wrong, here's another that shows the backlight pumping issue from the first post (they're both symptoms of the same broken algorithm). It's 20 seconds from the dance scene in Dark Knight Rises, which in total was about 2 minutes of the worst example of this specific issue that I've yet seen.

As with the other clips, you can play this on your own ipad4 and see it for yourself. Fullscreen the stream (don't direct download this one), make sure interface is hidden, no need to pause. The backlight fluctuating is more evident with less ambient light, obviously.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ablztwomoetnzf0/example4.mp4

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
Since the other clips I've posted were only of the video enhancement making the contrast/saturation look wrong, here's another that shows the backlight pumping issue from the first post (they're both symptoms of the same broken algorithm). It's 20 seconds from the dance scene in Dark Knight Rises, which in total was about 2 minutes of the worst example of this specific issue that I've yet seen.

As with the other clips, you can play this on your own ipad4 and see it for yourself. Fullscreen the stream (don't direct download this one), make sure interface is hidden, no need to pause. The backlight fluctuating is more evident with less ambient light, obviously.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ablztwomoetnzf0/example4.mp4

Where do you find these examples.lol

Yes,the contrast pumping is apparent on my ipad4 in this particular clip.

I still don't consider it a serious problem as I have yet to encounter an example outside of this thread that exhibit this phenomenon.I have watched dozens of youtube clips and 3 movies downloaded from dvd and they all play back perfectly with no contrast pumping.I couldn't be more happy with the video performance.Absolutely kills my notebook with no retina.

Perhaps I got a good unit but this problem happens so rarely on mine I wouldn't even think about getting a replacement.I might get a bad one.LOL

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
I noticed this on my second day with my new iPad 4 and have been furiously Googling around for a fix (and as a sanity check) since.

The weirdest part is that I don't think the issue is reproducible in non-Apple video apps. It doesn't happen when I watch videos in YouTube's app, nor ABC, NBC, HBO... Only when watching in Videos/Podcasts (haven't tried enough video in Safari to say).

The effect on the video usually isn't that bad - unnecessary if anything, as it doesn't seem to really improve the visibility of dark videos. It's just damned distracting.

Also, it isn't changing brightness. It's filtering contrast, which is why the letterboxes turn gray when it happens.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I noticed the same thing with my old monitor years back and disabled that 'feature' right away. I was on the edge between upgrading my iPad2 to the 4 or get the mini and I'm glad I got the mini...

mahavishnu

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Started streaming video via Plex to my iPad4 last week. Encountered this dynamic gamma/contrast problem, found it extremely annoying, searched the internet for a fix, discovered this thread and registered to the forum this morning. I've been using Apple products for ten years and never had cause to complain before, save waiting for a Google app before upgrading to iOS6.

Colour grading video is a part of my job, so this fairly leaped out at me. On my device, the problem of pulsing gamma/contrast effects all video streamed to the iPad in Plex, whether a bright or a dark scene and regardless of the brightness of the iPad. It pulses regularly, at 5-10 second intervals and, for me, makes the video unwatchable. It is however more obvious / severe in scenes with a dark background and bright foreground, particularly shots that are held for any length of time, or when subtitles are being displayed. It should go without saying that I have auto-brightness turned off. When using BBC iPlayer (I am based in the UK), there is no problem, suggesting to me a software issue, a dynamic contrast feature gone wrong - although I suppose it may also be an interaction between the software and certain models of (LG) display. This might also explain why recently-purchased iPad 3s, which also use the LG Displays, have been reported with the same problem whereas older builds of the iPad 3 do not (just a thought). Nb. streaming the very same video via Plex to my iPhone 4S is problem-free.

Inevitably, some people are going to be more sensitive to this issue than others, just as some are happy to watch their TVs in the incorrect aspect ratio, or without adjusting the showroom brightness settings. If you use apps that are unaffected, or if you don't use your iPad much for watching full-screen video, or if you tend to watch content that is bright and/or fast cutting you may well not see the problem. It is also possible that some batches of iPad 4 contain a different make of screen and are unaffected. I think, however, there are now enough responses to this thread to demonstrate that it is not a rare or isolated issue and also that replacing with another iPad4 or new iPad3 is unlikely to provide a solution.

The bottom line as far as I'm concerned, whether this "feature" annoys every customer or not, is that to implement dynamic contrast/gamma in such a supposedly high end device without the option to disable is unacceptable. I suppose I'll wait for the latest update to iOS - will also contact Plex to see if there's anythign they can do to fix the issue - and if that doesn't solve the problem will have no choice but to demand a refund from Apple. Suggest anyone buying an iPad for the primary purpose of watching video proceed with caution.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Just installed iOS 6.1 beta 5 which is supposedly what the public will get. I can confirm this problem is still there. Unfortunately we are stuck with it.

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
Just installed iOS 6.1 beta 5 which is supposedly what the public will get. I can confirm this problem is still there. Unfortunately we are stuck with it.

Disappointing. Was just watching the new Spartacus season and it looked like such a hot mess at times. Like mahavisnu says above, dark scenes with a bright light (ie. torchlight) is basically worst case scenario for this, and it felt like half the episode was that.

Anyway, there was also a news post about a related patent a few days ago:
https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/2...s-for-dimming-screens-based-on-content-needs/

With the trend towards thinner devices and thus smaller batteries, I wouldn't be surprised if this is standard on ios devices going forward, especially now that they know how few people are affected/bothered by it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How many would be acceptable to you for me to sample? 100? Well, 100 out of more than a million isn't really a good sample, either.

All I have is what I have. And yes, I still believe this affects all iPad 4 devices. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :)

Having stumbled into this thread I tested my iPad 4, two belonging to roommates and 50 that we bought for company use.

Tried a good 10 times on each one to replicate this defect and nothing, not using the video mentioned or any other similar ones. With the controller tapped out or not. Add this to numerous folks here saying it wasn't happening to them and no it is not effecting all iPad 4s. Heck by how if you we right there would have been a massive recall and it would have been on every blog out there, double if they generally hate Apple store cause the only thing stronger than their hate is their love of pointing out Apple flaws.

----------

I stand 100% by my statement that this affects all iPad 4s

Numerous folks are telling you that they can't replicate the issue so clearly it doesn't. Standing behind a statement that has been proven as false just makes you look foolish

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I can see why some don't see this. It took me a long time but once you see it you see it lol. Once you can see it you will see it on every ipad4 given the same conditions.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
Still yet to come across a video outside of this thread that has this "problem".

Anyone has anymore examples to post or are those 4 examples it?

JP2012

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Wait a minute, i have just installed ios6.1 on my ipad 4, i am watching americ psycho. So far i dont see it anymore, also no oversaturated icons. Is it the movie or has apple fixed this with 6.1?

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Try something that you noticed the issue before or the links on here. I doubt its fixed but if so I will be happier then a witch in a broom factory. I left my iPad at home so won't be able to test it until later.

Wait a minute, i have just installed ios6.1 on my ipad 4, i am watching americ psycho. So far i dont see it anymore, also no oversaturated icons. Is it the movie or has apple fixed this with 6.1?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My wife has the iPad in Japan right now, so I can't test. So you guys are my go-to people for testing 6.1. :)

Apekid

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
Hove, England
Have seen this on my iPad 4, but turning off auto brightness stopped it from happening. Have just updated to 6.1 and tried the video links above but could not see it with auto brightness on or off so maybe it was a SW bug:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.