Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
I broke my iBook G4 :(. (I took it almost all the way apart to replace a cracked screen frame) Does anyone have a suggestion?

Cold, it will boot up ok, and work for about 5-10 mintues and then freeze, completely (what was on the screen remains there, but the computer is completely unresponsive--the mouse doesn't even move, etc.)

If I force a reboot, it starts booting until it reaches the point where the screen turns from grey to blue and then freezes there. If I reboot again and again it will freeze at that same point. If I let it sit for a while (overnight), it will again boot all the way, only to freeze again after about 5 minutes.
:mad: :( :mad:

It passes the hardware tests (when booted to the hardware tests and in firewire mode it seems to work indefinitely). I thought it might be overheating--that I somehow messed up the contact between the heatsink and the processors, so I reseated the heatsink using fresh thermal compound--but this didn't help.

Or should I just give it up and sell it for parts on ebay?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask the experts (that being Apple themselves) if they have a solution to your problems.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I'm no Apple Genius..

...or electrical expert...

...by any means...

...but it kind of sounds like a short somewhere. Perhaps two logic boards coming in contact with one another, or something just not re-assembled properly.

Hell if I know, though.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

A bent pin or something--why not? I've taken this apart several times, so I don't suppose once again would hurt, when I get some time.

*Sigh* The broken frame I was replacing was just a cosmetic problem, and now I've got a useless computer. *regret, regret, regret*

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
as soon as you press the power button, press and hold shift for about 1 minute. This happened to my old PM and i started it up like this, got all of my important files off it and then turned it off. It was a logic board problem but i cant be bothered to switch the logic board so i got an ibook for free to replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.