Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I realize this was an accident, but I sort of blame the craftsmanship on these phones. It's awful to have these phones built with this type of glass. Apple should have made it with sapphire glass or whatever glass material to make it shatterproof, especially at 1 feet, as you experienced. :mad:

You know nothing Jon Snow…

What a minute… wait a minute. You had your iPhone on your lap, on a moving train? :eek:

I mean this is hardly an unfathomable situation - sitting on the tube with iPhone on lap - i did this all the time and have dropped my pref. iPhone a number of times. Luckily never sustained any damage so quite surprised as the 'tube' floors are quite soft.

----------

You know nothing Jon Snow…

I actually agree with him - they should of had a layer of sapphire at least, to create a scratchpoof and shatterproof display

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I mean this is hardly an unfathomable situation - sitting on the tube with iPhone on lap - i did this all the time and have dropped my pref. iPhone a number of times. Luckily never sustained any damage so quite surprised as the 'tube' floors are quite soft.

----------

I actually agree with him - they should of had a layer of sapphire at least, to create a scratchpoof and shatterproof display

It's all the luck of the draw. Many dropped test show the 6/6+ survive. And no Sapphire isn't shatter proof, if anything it's more prone to shattering.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I realize this was an accident, but I sort of blame the craftsmanship on these phones. It's awful to have these phones built with this type of glass. Apple should have made it with sapphire glass or whatever glass material to make it shatterproof, especially at 1 feet, as you experienced. :mad:

next iPhone is made out of bendy material that when you drop it it'll bounce back up into your hand :D

Rocketpaul

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
London
I booked an appointment, took it in, told them what happened, and paid for a replacement. I was the second person that day he had dealt with for a screen replacement on a 6 - it's cheaper to replace the iPhone 6 screen than the 5/5S/5C/6+ for some reason.

Anyway, it took 15 mins and I now have a brand new undamaged phone. It cost £85 and I can claim some of that back on my credit card protection plan. I'd rather be honest - karma just kicks my ass if I lie, and the screen is white and not yellow at least.

I've only damaged one iOS device before, and that was an iPhone 4. That was stood on the floor, leaning vertically against the wall to charge from a wall socket, and it fell forward, so a drop of about 6 inches for the top of the phone, almost nothing for the bottom, and that still cracked the screen, so I guess it can be bad luck as much as how hard it's hit.

----------

Those thin curved sides are definitely the vulnerable part. :-(

If you're OK paying for a replacement, now is the best time as they don't have the spare parts or refurbished phones yet, so you will get a brand new phone.

£85 is a lot cheaper than I was expecting, perhaps worth risking not getting apple care plus. Although I imagine water damage is much more expensive to fix.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I had my new iPhone 6 for all of three hours before breaking it. :eek:

I was sat on an underground train and it slipped off my leg onto the floor. It dropped about 1ft, and onto a plastic/rubber floor. There's now a cracked section on the screen edge about the size and shape of the tip of my thumb. Luckily the crack is under the top layer of the screen, and also doesn't extend as far as the display, so not the end of the world.

It does look though that with these rounded screens the edges where the screen is very thin is very susceptible to cracking if dropped. So take care!

What case did you have on it? If you didnt use a case what did you expect to happen when you drop it? Nothing wrong with the round screen, if you drop glass it can break.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
And commit fraud.

oh hey, because apple is a struggling company to stay alive that doesnt overprice its products or its repairs.

take it to the store, they usually replace it for you for free the first time or within a reasonable time since purchase date

in another case apple charged me what 300 to replace my broken screen? LOL.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Lol if you think glass wont break when dropped. I blamed the user for not using a case or at least a tempered glass screen. I dropped my five last month and the tempered glass screen protector broke instead of the actual screen. Its been well known for years that a dropped unprotected phone can get damaged. People choose to ignore whats practical because of vanity.

----------

I was sat on an underground train and it slipped off my leg onto the floor. It dropped about 1ft, and onto a plastic/rubber floor. There's now a cracked section on the screen edge about the size and shape of the tip of my thumb. Luckily the crack is under the top layer of the screen, and also doesn't extend as far as the display, so not the end of the world.

It does look though that with these rounded screens the edges where the screen is very thin is very susceptible to cracking if dropped. So take care!

So no apple care and no insurance, and a naked phone. Perfect recipe for disaster.

marcusr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Lol if you think glass wont break when dropped. I blamed the user for not using a case or at least a tempered glass screen. I dropped my five last month and the tempered glass screen protector broke instead of the actual screen. Its been well known for years that a dropped unprotected phone can get damaged. People choose to ignore whats practical because of vanity.

----------

So no apple care and no insurance, and a naked phone. Perfect recipe for disaster.

If I bought a phone, took off the case that it came with, and then broke it, fair comment. But a case is an optional extra, and takes away from all the design and craftsmanship Apple put into the design. My phone is now in an Apple silicon case, and looks like an iPhone 5C!

I think I have a reasonable expectation that something that is handled all day long should survive a short drop onto a rubberised surface. But I'm not complaining, just sharing my experiences, as I have a perfect phone again.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
If I bought a phone, took off the case that it came with, and then broke it, fair comment. But a case is an optional extra, and takes away from all the design and craftsmanship Apple put into the design. My phone is now in an Apple silicon case, and looks like an iPhone 5C!

I think I have a reasonable expectation that something that is handled all day long should survive a short drop onto a rubberised surface. But I'm not complaining, just sharing my experiences, as I have a perfect phone again.

In my opinion you should be complaining, to Apple, iPhones are supposed to be these Aluminium super phones(BMWs), they're not exactly a $100 Android phone. So all this craftsmanship and high price means nothing at all, at the end of the day it's just as flimsy as any cheap phone.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Hate to burst your bubble but saphire is even more brittle than glass. It's coveted for its scratch resistance. When the glass is this thin, it doesn't matter what it's made of, it's going to break when dropped at the right angle. If you don't want it to break..

1 - Don't drop it
2 - Don't use glass, use plastic and deal with the scratches over time
3 - Don't drop it

A case might help but its anyones guess.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
delete this post, and exchange it and tell whatever place u bought it at it came that way

thats what i would do

Why don't you put on a pair of man pants and look in the mirror and admit you screwed up. You might feel better about yourself.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Hate to burst your bubble but saphire is even more brittle than glass. It's coveted for its scratch resistance. When the glass is this thin, it doesn't matter what it's made of, it's going to break when dropped at the right angle. If you don't want it to break..

1 - Don't drop it
2 - Don't use glass, use plastic and deal with the scratches over time
3 - Don't drop it

A case might help but its anyones guess.

I've had 2 HTC phones, dropped them numerous times, and from much higher heights than this guy dropped his, never had any damage whatsoever. Looks like plastic phones stand up better than Aluminium and glass ones.

----------

Why don't you put on a pair of man pants and look in the mirror and admit you screwed up. You might feel better about yourself.

Nice way to treat someone who's already feeling bad about what he's done, you must be so perfect.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

I prefer my phone naked just like you but I have to think rationally. If i drop the phone can it break? My answer is yes, so I use a case. To me having a functional phone to use for work and pleasure outweighs the beauty of having a naked phone. It's a tool for work and pleasure for me, not a fashion accessory.

----------

I've had 2 HTC phones, dropped them numerous times, and from much higher heights than this guy dropped his, never had any damage whatsoever. Looks like plastic phones stand up better than Aluminium and glass ones.

----------

Nice way to treat someone who's already feeling bad about what he's done, you must be so perfect.

He broke his phone, stop acting like he suffered a bereavement.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I prefer my phone naked just like you but I have to think rationally. If i drop the phone can it break? My answer is yes, so I use a case. To me having a functional phone to use for work and pleasure outweighs the beauty of having a naked phone. It's a tool for work and pleasure for me, not a fashion accessory.

----------

He broke his phone, stop acting like he suffered a bereavement.

Hahahaha, for most people on here it would be like a bereavement to damage their beloved iPhone.

lithonius

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
all these "condolences" LOL :rolleyes:

People get real, it's a phone. Yes it has a lot of hype around it, but he can just go get another one. It's not a one off...this time buy a case before you leave the store.

In other news, I love mine and as a responsible iPhone owner I put it in a case immediately after pulling it out of the box. :apple:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
all these "condolences" LOL :rolleyes:

People get real, it's a phone. Yes it has a lot of hype around it, but he can just go get another one. It's not a one off...this time buy a case before you leave the store.

In other news, I love mine and as a responsible iPhone owner I put it in a case immediately after pulling it out of the box. :apple:

Just like I did. I had a case ordered before I even got the phone. Right now I'm waiting on my tempered glass screen protector. The phone cost me $910 and I must protect it, even though I will still probably get Apple care plus.

marcusr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
I have my phone in the official Apple case now.

And now it looks like a iPhone 5C. That's progress :)

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
delete this post, and exchange it and tell whatever place u bought it at it came that way

thats what i would do

So lie and commit fraud and cover your tracks by deleting this thread. It seems the apple user base is willing to go to any lengths necessary, I guess.

Brenster26

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014

You're irresponsible. Get a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.