Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I click Turn on and then Allow... but nothing happens. - 14" M1 MBP Can I try anything else?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I sorted it by turning off location services and then switching it back on. Then when turning on Find my Mac it worked.
I have tried that, still not working. Very frustrating to say the least.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Tried it again this evening. Hadn't changed a single thing. It decided to work. Weird.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2023
I click Turn on and then Allow... but nothing happens. - 14" M1 MBP Can I try anything else?
I can find my mac from my phone but not my phone from my mac.

On the mac I can't turn Find My on or off and I can't enable or disable Location Services.
There's an alert on the Find My: "Wake for network access is off"
Where do I go to wake it up?

Update: figured it out

Last edited:

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
So for anyone that bumps into this issue.

1: Go to Location sharing and under "share your location with" turn everything off.
2: Go to Apple ID - iCloud - Find My Mac and turn it on. It will ask for your password and should turn on.
3: Go back to Location sharing - share your location with, and turn on what you want.

Hollydays

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2023
So for anyone that bumps into this issue.

1: Go to Location sharing and under "share your location with" turn everything off.
2: Go to Apple ID - iCloud - Find My Mac and turn it on. It will ask for your password and should turn on.
3: Go back to Location sharing - share your location with, and turn on what you want.
Thank you. It took me a while as I first had to find Location Sharing under Family under my ID. Find My Mac isn't under iCloud anymore evidently, at least not on my new MBP. Rather new user that I am, I find it is more often than not the case that features have been moved by the time I encounter a problem someone else once had, but I am very grateful for sites like this that help me eventually find what I need to know!

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all,
I noticed this a couple days ago when looking at device info. My iMac has Find My Mac on in settings, and it shows up in the "Find My" app on iOS, macOS, and on the site as it should, but on appleid.apple.com in device info, it's listed as off. How can I fix this so the info is correct? Thanks. Here are screenshots of what I am seeing.
It's a late 2015 iMac running Monterey.
EDIT, I wanted to mention I have an older MBP 11,1 (late 2013, 13" and it's listed as ON. Will include a screenshot of that as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 6.22.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 6.22.17 AM.png
    765.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 6.21.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 6.21.21 AM.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 6.36.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 6.36.03 AM.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:

Hollydays

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2023
Did you try the 1,2,3 steps in the post above? I don't know older Macs as I'm a new Mac owner myself, but as I mentioned I had to locate where "Location Sharing" is on my newer Mac. Location Sharing has to be one in order for "Find My Mac" to actually be on, it seems. Maybe you have to poke around for where "Location Sharing" is on your older one.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Did you try the 1,2,3 steps in the post above? I don't know older Macs as I'm a new Mac owner myself, but as I mentioned I had to locate where "Location Sharing" is on my newer Mac. Location Sharing has to be one in order for "Find My Mac" to actually be on, it seems. Maybe you have to poke around for where "Location Sharing" is on your older one.
I actually did, and the only location haring I have here is under family sharing. So that wasn't the right setting for me.

MOM20xx

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2021
Hey all,
I noticed this a couple days ago when looking at device info. My iMac has Find My Mac on in settings, and it shows up in the "Find My" app on iOS, macOS, and on the site as it should, but on appleid.apple.com in device info, it's listed as off. How can I fix this so the info is correct? Thanks. Here are screenshots of what I am seeing.
It's a late 2015 iMac running Monterey.
EDIT, I wanted to mention I have an older MBP 11,1 (late 2013, 13" and it's listed as ON. Will include a screenshot of that as well.
have you fixed this issue? if yes - how?

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
OK, I've read both threads. The reason I held off on continuing to seek answers here is because the Find My service is actually working as yours is. It's the status in the iCloud device info that's showing off. I started thinking after seeing my MBP and other devices such as iPhone and iPad with the status on, and them being portable WiFi only devices. I wonder if iMacs and other desktop Macs are treated differently because they aren't considered portable like the other devices (or mobile) is a better term here. That's the only conclusion I could come to because otherwise everything is working as it should.

MOM20xx

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2021
maybe you are right. after upgrading from macos 13.x to 14.x the status here in iCloud device info was on. some weeks later i had issues with a software on this imac and did a clean install of everything with 14.x. after that clean install i never get status on in iCloud device info. so maybe apple changed here something.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
maybe you are right. after upgrading from macos 13.x to 14.x the status here in iCloud device info was on. some weeks later i had issues with a software on this imac and did a clean install of everything with 14.x. after that clean install i never get status on in iCloud device info. so maybe apple changed here something.
Well the iMac shows up in the "Find My" app, and on the site, so location services are working, and even though I'm on Monterey here as this iMac can't run Sonoma without the help of Open core legacy patcher, I was still able to do functions like play a sound to the iMac so it's recognized I think the more likely answer though unless other evidence surfaces is, iMacs being a desktop computer just don't get all the mobile status / features other devices get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.