Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
The price is still high but I need a computer that I can use for several years. Apple makes the best laptop computers right now. MSFT Surface Book isn't even close TBQH. A Linux bandaid simply doesn't cut it for me. Additionally, I like to do iOS development as well. Linux does not support this currently.

Reactions: MotionxxUSxx

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I agree with you...many users have valid points. But I still plan to get a Mac. I never purchase one brand new anyways. Thankfully used Macs have been falling in resale value. So nothing has really changed for me. But if I was paying retail. That would hurt!

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
Do you need a computer that you can use for several years? rmbp mid-2012, 2013, 2014,2015 ? Why did you changed your mind? Maybe the consumerism kicked in a little? :rolleyes:

Reactions: alazhaarp

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
rMBP have always been expensive and not most recent tech - price is just higher now. We just had hoped things would be different. We expected it would be different. It was - were disappointed. Thus angry :)

Well..im not angry. :)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
May I ask why you changed your mind?
I think the touch bar can actually be useful TBQH. I just think the price is a bit steep for what it is right now as no apps take advantage of it. I also think 8GB of ram is on the low side if you do any kind of software engineering with your machine. I feel like the standard should've been a minimum of 16GB of ram with an option to upgrade to 32GB of ram. Maybe there are performance implication.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I like it enough. Just waiting for future refinements and a price drop. Try to avoid Gen 1 after a complete refresh. The second or third gen of the same-looking device generally are better and more worth it.

This is similar for me at getting an Xbox One S. You wait three years, you get a much better looking device with enough refinements inside it and price drop. All tech is that way.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I like it enough. Just waiting for future refinements and a price drop. Try to avoid Gen 1 after a complete refresh. The second or third gen of the same-looking device generally are better and more worth it.

This is similar for me at getting an Xbox One S. You wait three years, you get a much better looking device with enough refinements inside it and price drop. All tech is that way.

Or you can trade up. Had an Xbox one in spring 2014 and traded up for one s at end of summer and paid 50 out of pocket !

Lucked out but macs hold resell value well so if you really want it go for it and worry about gen2 with gen2

If the fear mongering got me I wouldn't have gotten gen one 12" and watch. I regret neither their successors are incremental

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.